- •The results showed that neck-specific exercises (NSEs) significantly benefited neck disability, self-efficacy, and health-related quality of life compared with the untreated group.
- •There was significant improvement over time in all outcomes for the NSE group, and mostly significant worsening over time for the untreated group.
- •The results indicated that NSEs were more beneficial than no intervention while on a waiting list for individuals with chronic whiplash-associated disorders.
Main Outcome Measures
List of abbreviations:EQ-5D (EuroQol 5 dimensions), NDI (Neck Disability Index), NSE (neck-specific exercise), PDI (Pain Disability Index), SES (Self-Efficacy Scale), VAS (visual analog scale), WAD (whiplash-associated disorder), WL (waiting list)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
The Whiplash Commission Final Report. Sandviken; 2005. Available at: http://www.whiplashkommissionen.se/www.whiplashkommissionen.se/pdf/WK_finalreport.pdf. Accessed March 25, 2015.
- The burden and determinants of neck pain in whiplash-associated disorders after traffic collisions: results of the Bone and Joint Decade 2000-2010 Task Force on Neck Pain and Its Associated Disorders.Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2008; 33: S52-S59
- Course and prognostic factors for neck pain in whiplash-associated disorders (WAD): results of the Bone and Joint Decade 2000-2010 Task Force on Neck Pain and Its Associated Disorders.Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2008; 33: S83-92
- Long-term labour-market performance of whiplash claimants.J Health Econ. 2009; 28: 996-1011
- Scientific monograph of the Quebec Task Force on Whiplash-Associated Disorders: redefining “whiplash” and its management.Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 1995; 20: S1-73
- The temporal development of fatty infiltrates in the neck muscles following whiplash injury: an association with pain and posttraumatic stress.PLoS One. 2011; 6: e21194
- Impairments in the cervical flexors: a comparison of whiplash and insidious onset neck pain patients.Man Ther. 2004; 9: 89-94
- The relationship between superficial muscle activity during the cranio-cervical flexion test and clinical features in patients with chronic neck pain.Man Ther. 2011; 16: 452-455
- Function in patients with cervical radiculopathy or chronic whiplash-associated disorders compared with healthy volunteers.J Manipulative Physiol Ther. 2014; 37: 211-218
- Conservative treatments for whiplash.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2007; : CD003338
- A research synthesis of therapeutic interventions for whiplash-associated disorder (WAD): part 4—noninvasive interventions for chronic WAD.Pain Res Manag. 2010; 15: 313-322
- Is exercise effective for the management of neck pain and associated disorders or whiplash-associated disorders? A systematic review by the Ontario Protocol for Traffic Injury Management (OPTIMa) Collaboration.Spine J. 2014 Feb 15; ([Epub ahead of print])
- Randomized controlled trial of exercise for chronic whiplash-associated disorders.Pain. 2007; 128: 59-68
- A randomized study of new sling exercise treatment vs traditional physiotherapy for patients with chronic whiplash-associated disorders with unsettled compensation claims.J Rehabil Med. 2007; 39: 252-259
- Comprehensive physiotherapy exercise programme or advice for chronic whiplash (PROMISE): a pragmatic randomised controlled trial.Lancet. 2014; 384: 133-141
- The effect of neck-specific exercise with, or without a behavioral approach, on pain, disability, and self-efficacy in chronic whiplash-associated disorders: a randomized clinical trial.Clin J Pain. 2015; 31: 294-303
Landén Ludvigsson M, Peterson G, Dedering Å, Peolsson A. One- and two-year follow-up of a randomized trial of neck-specific exercise with or without a behavioural approach compared with prescription of physical activity in chronic whiplash disorder. J Rehabil Med 2015 Dec 11 [Epub ahead of print].
- The effect of a rehabilitation exercise program on head repositioning accuracy and reported levels of pain in chronic neck pain subjects.J Whiplash Relat Disord. 2002; 1: 99-112
- The Neck Disability Index: state-of-the-art, 1991-2008.J Manipulative Physiol Ther. 2008; 31: 491-502
- Assessment of chronic pain. I. Aspects of the reliability and validity of the visual analogue scale.Pain. 1983; 16: 87-101
- Medical exercise therapy [Norwegian].Universitetsforlaget, Oslo1993
- Is there a difference in the pattern of muscle activity when performing neck exercises with a guild board versus a pulley?.J Rehabil Med. 2013; 45: 900-905
- Lack of endogenous pain inhibition during exercise in people with chronic whiplash associated disorders: an experimental study.J Pain. 2012; 13: 242-254
- Exercise, not to exercise, or how to exercise in patients with chronic pain? Applying science to practice.Clin J Pain. 2015; 31: 108-114
- Measurement properties of the Neck Disability Index: a systematic review.J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2009; 39: 400-401
- Role of self-efficacy in rehabilitation outcome among chronic low back pain patients.J Couns Psychol. 1993; 40: 335-339
- Self-efficacy, fear avoidance, and pain intensity as predictors of disability in subacute and chronic musculoskeletal pain patients in primary health care.Pain. 2004; 111: 245-252
- Evaluating the reliability of multi-item scales: a non-parametric approach to the ordered categorical structure of data collected with the Swedish version of the Tampa Scale for Kinesiophobia and the Self-Efficacy Scale.J Rehabil Med. 2005; 37: 330-334
- Classification of patients with whiplash associated disorders (WAD): reliable and valid subgroups based on the Multidimensional Pain Inventory (MPI-S).Eur J Pain. 2006; 10: 113-119
- The Pain Disability Index: psychometric properties.Pain. 1990; 40: 171-182
- EuroQol: the current state of play.Health Policy. 1996; 37: 53-72
- Properties of patient-reported outcome measures in individuals following acute whiplash injury.Health Qual Life Outcomes. 2014; 12: 38
- Statistical power analysis for the behavioral sciences.Lawrence Erlbaum, Hillsdale1988: 1-7
- Clinical relevance vs. statistical significance: using neck outcomes in patients with temporomandibular disorders as an example.Man Ther. 2011; 16: 563-572
- Conservative management of mechanical neck disorders: a systematic review.J Rheumatol. 2007; 34: 1083-1102
- The role of educational and learning approaches in rehabilitation of whiplash-associated disorders in lessening the transition to chronicity.Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2011; 36: S280-S285
Clinical Trial Registration No.: NCT01547624.