- •Submaximal exercise–based equations predicted directly measured maximal oxygen uptake (o2max) with a moderate to strong correlation strength (r range, 0.4–0.9).
- •Three of the 4 most accurate equations, determined by the highest Pearson product moment and no significant difference between predicted and measured o2max, were derived from stepping-based submaximal exercise tests.
- •Selection should be guided by a number of factors and not just the accuracy of the equation.
List of abbreviations:V˙o2 (oxygen uptake), V˙o2max (maximum oxygen uptake), Vo2peak (peak oxygen uptake)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- The association between cardiorespiratory fitness and cardiovascular risk may be modulated by known cardiovascular risk factors.Am Heart J. 2015; 169: 916-923.e1
- Potential for primary prevention of Alzheimer's disease: an analysis of population-based data.Lancet Neurol. 2014; 13: 788-794
- Cardiorespiratory fitness as a quantitative predictor of all-cause mortality and cardiovascular events in healthy men and women: a meta-analysis.JAMA. 2009; 301: 2024-2035
- Longitudinal study of determinants of dependence in an elderly population.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2004; 52: 1632-1638
- ACSM's guidelines for exercise testing and prescription.8th ed. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia2011
- Assessment of functional capacity in clinical and research settings: a scientific statement from the American Heart Association Committee on Exercise, Rehabilitation, and Prevention of the Council on Clinical Cardiology and the Council on Cardiovascular Nursing.Circulation. 2007; 116: 329-343
- The PRISMA statement for reporting systematic reviews and meta-analyses of studies that evaluate healthcare interventions: explanation and elaboration.BMJ. 2009; 339: b2700
- A systematic review of methods to predict maximal oxygen uptake from submaximal, open circuit spirometry in healthy adults.J Sci Med Sport. 2015; 18: 183-188
- A systematic review and meta-analysis of submaximal exercise-based equations to predict maximal oxygen uptake in young people.Pediatr Exerc Sci. 2014; 26: 342-357
- Quality assessment tool for quantitative studies.Effective Public Health Practice Project, McMaster University, Toronto2003 (Available at: http://www.ephpp.ca/index.html. Accessed August 10, 2013)
- Health benefits of cycling: a systematic review.Scand J Med Sci Sports. 2011; 21: 496-509
- Chapter 8: assessing risk of bias in included studies in Cochrane handbook for systematic reviews of interventions. Version 220.127.116.111 (Available at: www.cochrane-handbook.org. Accessed August 12, 2013)
- A self-paced step test to predict aerobic fitness in older adults in the primary care clinic.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2001; 49: 632-638
- Validation of the Rockport Fitness Walking Test in females 65 years and older.Res Q Exerc Sport. 1992; 63: 322-327
- Maximal aerobic power versus performance in two aerobic endurance tests among young and old adults.Gerontology. 2011; 57: 502-512
- Accuracy of VO2max prediction equations in older adults.Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2003; 35: 145-149
- Validation of a 1-mile walk test in elderly women.J Aging Phys Act. 1993; 1: 13-21
- Validity of a VO2max prediction equation of the 2-km walk test in female seniors.Int J Sports Med. 2005; 26: 453-456
- A perceptually-regulated exercise test predicts peak oxygen uptake in older active adults.J Aging Phys Act. 2015; 23: 205-211
- Cross-validation of the recumbent stepper submaximal exercise test to predict peak oxygen uptake in older adults.Phys Ther. 2014; 94: 722-729
- “Tailored” submaximal step test for VO2max prediction in healthy older adults.J Aging Phys Act. 2014; 22: 261-268
Effective Public Health Practice Project quality assessment tool for quantitative studies. Available at: http://www.ephpp.ca/tools.html. Accessed August 10, 2013.
- Recumbent stepper submaximal exercise test to predict peak oxygen uptake.Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2012; 44: 1539-1544
- Longitudinal modeling of the relationship between age and maximal heart rate.Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2007; 39: 822-829
- A nomogram for calculation of aerobic capacity (physical fitness) from pulse rate during sub-maximal work.J Appl Physiol. 1954; 7: 218-221
- Age-predicted maximal heart rate revisited.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2001; 37: 153-156
- Maximal aerobic capacity testing of older adults: a critical review.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2005; 60: 57-66
- Oxygen uptake during maximal treadmill and bicycle exercise.J Appl Physiol. 1969; 26: 31-37
- Cardiac output during submaximal and maximal treadmill and bicycle exercise.J Appl Physiol. 1970; 29: 82-86
- A comparison of maximum oxygen uptake determination by bicycle ergometry at various pedaling frequencies and by treadmill running at various speeds.Eur J Appl Physiol Occup Physiol. 1976; 35: 191-200
- Accelerated longitudinal decline of aerobic capacity in healthy older adults.Circulation. 2005; 112: 674-682
- Epidemiology of osteoarthritis and associated comorbidities.PMR. 2012; 4: S10-S19
A.E.S. was funded by Alzheimer's Australia while conducting this study.