List of abbreviations:CI (confidence interval), DRI (Disability Rating Index), RMQ (Roland Morris Questionnaire), SMD (standardized mean difference)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- The epidemiology of low back pain.Best Pract Res Clin Rheumatol. 2010; 24: 769-781
World Health Organization. Priority diseases and reasons for inclusion. Available at: http://www.who.int/medicines/areas/priority_medicines/ch6-13_24/en/. Accessed December 10, 2014.
- The biomechanics of back pain.2nd ed. Churchill Livingstone, Edinburgh2006: 59
- Evidence based practice guideline for management of low back pain: physical therapy implications.Rev Bras Fisioter. 2011; 15: 190-199
American Physical Therapy Association. Today’s physical therapist: a comprehensive review of a 21st century health care profession. 2011. Available at: http://www.apta.org/uploadedFiles/APTAorg/Practice_and_Patient_Care/PR_and_Marketing/Market_to_Professionals/TodaysPhysicalTherapist.pdf. Accessed November 13, 2014.
- A prospective, randomised trial of immediate exercise following lumbar discectomy: a preliminary study.Physiotherapy. 2009; 95: 273-279
- Surgical interventions for lumbar disc prolapse.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2007; : CD001350
- Lumbar discectomy microdiscectomy: “the gold standard.”.Clin Neurosurg. 1996; 43: 228-238
- Economic evaluation of a behavioral graded activity program compared to physical therapy for patients following lumbar disc surgery.Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2004; 29: 615-622
- Percutaneous endoscopic lumbar discectomy: clinical and quality of life outcomes with a minimum 2 year follow up.J Orthop Surg Res. 2009; 4: 20
- An evidence-based review of the literature on the consequences of conservative versus aggressive discectomy for the treatment of primary disc herniations with radiculopathy.Spine J. 2009; 9: 240-257
- Cost effectiveness of microendoscopic discectomy versus conventional open discectomy in the treatment of lumbar disc herniation: a prospective randomised controlled trial.BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2006; 7: 42
- Rehabilitation after lumbar disc surgery.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2014; : CD003007
- Clinical trial of postoperative dynamic back exercises after first lumbar discectomy.Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 1993; 18: 92-97
- Rehabilitation after lumbar disc surgery: an update Cochrane review.Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2009; 34: 1839-1848
- Effects of dynamic lumbar stabilization exercises following lumbar microdiscectomy on pain, mobility and return to work. Randomized controlled trial.Eur J Phys Rehabil Med. 2014; 50: 627-640
- Efficacy of dynamic lumbar stabilization exercise in lumbar discectomy.J Rehabil Med. 2003; 35: 163-167
- Physiotherapy-based rehabilitation following disc herniation operation.Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2007; 32: 2041-2049
- Early neuromuscular customized training after surgery for lumbar disc herniation: a prospective controlled study.Eur Spine J. 2007; 16: 16-26
- Rehabilitation following first-time lumbar disc surgery: a systematic review within the framework of the Cochrane collaboration.Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2003; 28: 209-218
- Activity restrictions after posterior lumbar discectomy. A prospective study of outcomes in 152 cases with no post operative restrictions.Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 1999; 24: 2346-2351
- The effectiveness of land based exercise compared to decompressive surgery in the management of lumbar spinal-canal stenosis: a systematic review.BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2012; 13: 30
- The PRISMA Group Preferred Reporting Items for Systematic Reviews and Meta-Analyses: the PRISMA statement.PLoS Med. 2009; 6: e1000097
- The feasibility of creating a checklist for the assessment of the methodological quality both of randomized and non-randomized studies of health care intervention.J Epidemiol Community Health. 1998; 52: 377-384
- Effectiveness of web-based interventions on patient empowerment: a systematic review and meta-analysis.J Med Internet Res. 2010; 12: e23
National Collaborating Centre for Methods and Tools. Quality checklist for health care intervention studies. Hamilton: McMaster University; 2008. Available at: http://www.nccmt.ca/registry/view/eng/9.html. Accessed September 17, 2014.
Higgins JPT, Green S, editors. Cochrane handbook for systematic reviews of interventions version 5.1.0. The Cochrane Collaboration; 2011. Available at: http://www.cochrane-handbook.org. Accessed December 8, 2014.
- The statistical power of abnormal-social psychological research: a review.J Abnorm Soc Psychol. 1962; 65: 145-153
- Measuring inconsistency in meta-analyses.BMJ. 2003; 327: 557-560
- Effects of an exercise treatment programme on lumbar extensor muscle strength and pain of rehabilitation patients recovering from lumbar disc herniation surgery.J Phys Ther Sci. 2012; 24: 515-518
- Early active training after lumbar discectomy: a prospective, randomized, and controlled study.Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 1998; 23: 2345-2351
- Randomized controlled trial of neural mobilization after spinal surgery.Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2001; 26: 2647-2652