- •We examined the feasibility of a combined clinic-home–based intervention using an electromyography-controlled wearable robotic elbow brace.
- •The 6-week home program was feasible and effective.
- •Participants had significant improvements in arm impairment and self-reported functional use of the arm from baseline to discharge and continued to report significant improvement in actual use at 3-month follow-up.
Main Outcome Measures
List of abbreviations:FMA-UE (Fugl-Meyer Assessment of the Upper Extremity), MAL-AOU (Motor Activity Log-Amount of Use subscale), MAL-HW (Motor Activity Log-How Well subscale), MAS (Modified Ashworth Scale)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Three-dimensional, task-specific robot therapy of the arm after stroke: a multicentre, parallel-group randomised trial.Lancet Neurol. 2014; 13: 159-166
- Effects of robotic therapy of the arm after stroke.Lancet Neurol. 2014; 13: 132-133
- Robot-assisted therapy for long-term upper-limb impairment after stroke.N Engl J Med. 2010; 362: 1772-1783
- Effects of robot-assisted therapy on stroke rehabilitation in upper limbs: systematic review and meta-analysis of the literature.J Rehabil Res Dev. 2012; 49: 479-496
- Advances in upper limb stroke rehabilitation: a technology push.Med Biol Eng Comput. 2011; 49: 1103-1118
- Telerehabilitation clinical and vocational applications for assistive technology: research, opportunities, and challenges.Int J Telerehabil. 2009; 1: 59-72
- Portable neurorobotics for the severely affected arm in chronic stroke: a case study.J Neurol Phys Ther. 2011; 35: 41-46
- Electromyography-controlled exoskeletal upper-limb-powered orthosis for exercise training after stroke.Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 2007; 86: 255-261
- Interrater reliability of a Modified Ashworth Scale of muscle spasticity.Phys Ther. 1987; 67: 206-207
- Adult norms for the Box and Block Test of manual dexterity.Am J Occup Ther. 1985; 39: 386-391
- The Fugl-Meyer Assessment of motor recovery after stroke: a critical review of its measurement properties.Neurorehabil Neural Repair. 2002; 16: 232-240
- The Arm Motor Ability Test: reliability, validity, and sensitivity to change of an instrument for assessing disabilities in activities of daily living.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 1997; 78: 615-620
- The Motor Activity Log-28: assessing daily use of the hemiparetic arm after stroke.Neurology. 2006; 67: 1189-1194
The devices used during the study were provided by Myomo, Inc. No other funding was provided, and Myomo did not have any involvement in the design, conduct, or reporting of this study.
Disclosures: J. Stein has served on the scientific advisory board of Myomo, Inc; received nonfinancial support from Tyromotion, Inc; and grant funding from Nexstim, Inc. The other authors have nothing to disclose.