Main Outcome Measures
List of abbreviations:CMS (Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services), HRR (hospital referral region), ICC (intraclass correlation coefficient), IOM (Institute of Medicine), IRF (inpatient rehabilitation facility), IRF-PAI (Inpatient Rehabilitation Facility–Patient Assessment Instrument), MedPAR (Medicare Provider Analysis and Review), POS (Provider of Service)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Geographic variation in Medicare services.N Engl J Med. 2013; 368: 1465-1468
- Variation in the delivery of health care: the stakes are high.Ann Intern Med. 1998; 128: 866-868
- Comparing local and regional variation in health care spending.N Engl J Med. 2012; 367: 1724-1731
- The Dartmouth Atlas of health care.American Hospital Publishing, Chicago1996
- The quality of medical care in the United States: a report of the Medicare program: the Dartmouth Atlas of healthcare 1999.Health Forum, Chicago1999
- The implications of regional variations in Medicare spending. Part 1: the content, quality, and accessibility of care.Ann Intern Med. 2003; 138: 273-287
- Medical practice variations: what the literature tells us (or does not) about what are warranted and unwarranted variations.J Eval Clin Pract. 2011; 17: 671-677
- Unwarranted variations in healthcare delivery: implications for academic medical centres.BMJ. 2002; 325: 961-964
- Variation in carotid endarterectomy mortality in the Medicare population: trial hospitals, volume, and patient characteristics.JAMA. 1998; 279: 1278-1281
- Variation in the use of laparoscopic cholecystectomy for elderly patients with acute cholecystitis.Arch Surg. 2000; 135: 457-462
- Drivers of surgery for the degenerative hip, knee, and spine: a systematic review.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2012; 470: 1090-1105
- Regional variations and trends in the prevalence of diagnosed glaucoma in the Medicare population.Ophthalmology. 2012; 119: 1342-1351
- Geographic variation in the use of post-acute care.Health Serv Res. 2002; 37: 667-682
Fisher E, Bell JE, Tomak I, Esty A, Goodman D. Trends in regional variation in hip knee and shoulder replacement: a Dartmouth Atlas surgery report. 2010. Available at: http://www.dartmouthatlas.org/downloads/reports/Joint_Replacement_0410.pdf. Accessed March 24, 2015.
- Changes in regional variation of Medicare home health care utilization and service mix for patients undergoing major orthopedic procedures in response to changes in reimbursement policy.Health Serv Res. 2009; 44: 1232-1252
- Medicare spending and outcomes after postacute care for stroke and hip fracture.Med Care. 2010; 48: 776-784
- Disparities in postacute rehabilitation care for stroke: an analysis of the state inpatient databases.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2011; 92: 1220-1229
111th Congress. Patient Protection Affordable Care Act PL 111-148. 2014.
- Variation in health care spending: targeting decision making non geography.National Academies Pr, Washington (DC)2013
- The implications of regional variations in Medicare spending. Part 2: health outcomes and satisfaction with care.Ann Intern Med. 2003; 138: 288-298
- Geographic variation in health care.Annu Rev Med. 2012; 63: 493-509
- phase II: implications for access, quality, and efficiency.National Academies Pr, Washington (DC)2012
- Improving regional variation using quality of care measures.Risk Manag Healthc Policy. 2009; 2: 91-96
Straube B. The CMS Quality Roadmap: quality plus efficiency. Health Aff (Millwood) 2005;(Suppl Web Exclusives):W5-555-7.
- HHS. Medicare program, inpatient rehabilitation facility prospective payment system for federal fiscal year 2015: final rul.Fed Regist. 2014; 79: 26307-26354
UB Foundation Activities. The inpatient rehabilitation facility-patient assessment instrument (IRF-PAI) Training Manual: effective 4/01/04. Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. Available at: https://www.cms.gov/Medicare/Medicare-Fee-for-Service-Payment/InpatientRehabFacPPS/downloads/irfpaimanual040104.pdf. Accessed March 23, 2015.
- Relationships between impairment and physical disability as measured by the Functional Independence Measure.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 1993; 74: 566-573
- The reliability of the Functional Independence Measure: a quantitative review.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 1996; 77: 1226-1232
- Predictors of functional outcome in first-ever ischemic stroke: a special interest to ischemic subtypes, comorbidity and age.NeuroRehabilitation. 2009; 24: 321-326
- Preliminary analysis for refinement of the tier comorbidities in the inpatient rehabilitation facility prospective payment system.Rand Corp, Santa Monica2005
- Relationship between diabetes codes that affect Medicare reimbursement (tier comorbidities) and outcomes in stroke rehabilitation.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2009; 89: 863-869
- Diabetes comorbidity and age influence rehabilitation outcomes after hip fracture.Diabetes Care. 2011; 34: 1375-1377
- Examining relationships in an integrated hosptal system: final report.RTI, Washington (DC)2008
- Partitioning variation in multilevel models.Understanding Statistics. 2002; 1: 223-231
- Regional variation in stroke rehabilitation outcomes.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2014; 95: 29-38
- Multilevel analysis: an introduction to basic and advanced multilevel modeling.Sage, Thousand Oaks1999
- Poststroke rehabilitation: outcomes and reimbursement of inpatient rehabilitation facilities and subacute rehabilitation programs.Stroke. 2006; 37: 1477-1482
- The Uniform Data System for Medical Rehabilitation: report of patients with stroke discharged from comprehensive medical programs in 2000-2007.Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 2009; 88: 961-972
- Using SAS PROC MIXED to fit multilevel models, hierarchical models, and individual growth models.J Educ Behav Stat. 1998; 234: 323-355
- Structure, process, and outcomes in stroke rehabilitation.Med Care. 2002; 40: 1036-1047
- Stroke rehabilitation quality indicators: raising the bar in the inpatient rehabilitation facility.Top Stroke Rehabil. 2010; 17: 294-304
- Team functioning and patient outcomes in stroke rehabilitation.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2005; 86: 403-409
- Outcome indicators for stroke: application of an algorithm treatment across the continuum of postacute rehabilitation services.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2000; 81: 1468-1478
- Team training and stroke rehabilitation outcomes: a cluster randomized trial.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2014; 89: 10-15
- Development and validation of a discharge planning index for achieving home discharge after hospitalization for acute stroke among those who received rehabilitation services.Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 2014; 93: 217-230
- Factors associated with home discharge among veterans with stroke.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2014; 95: 1277-1282
- Conceptual overview of frameworks for measuring quality in rehabilitation.Top Stroke Rehabil. 2010; 17: 239-251
- Quality care and practise variation: the roles of practise guidelines and public profiles.Surv Ophthalmol. 2004; 49: 359-371
- Thirty-day hospital readmission following discharge from postacute rehabilitation in fee-for-service Medicare patients.JAMA. 2014; 311: 604-614
Supported by the National Institutes of Health, National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, the National Center for Medical Rehabilitation Research (grant nos. K01-HD068513, R24-HD065702, R01-HD069443, K12-HD055929); National Institute on Aging (grant no. P30-AG024832); National Center for Advancing Translational Sciences (grant no. UL1TR000071); Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (grant no. R24HS022134); and National Institute on Disability and Rehabilitation Research (grant no. H133P110012).