Virtual reality–based training can be effectively combined with conventional programs.
Telerehabilitation and in-clinic interventions can promote similar motor improvement.
Usability and motivation of both interventions can be similar.
Telerehabilitation interventions can involve savings that vary depending on each scenario.
Main Outcome Measures
List of abbreviations:ANOVA ( analysis of variance), BBA ( Brunel Balance Assessment), BBS ( Berg Balance Scale), IMI ( Intrinsic Motivation Inventory), POMA-B ( Performance-Oriented Mobility Assessment balance subscale), POMA-G ( Performance-Oriented Mobility Assessment gait subscale), SUS ( System Usability Scale), VR ( virtual reality)
- Heart disease and stroke statistics—2013 update: a report from the American Heart Association.Circulation. 2013; 127: e6-e245
- Factors influencing stroke survivors' quality of life during subacute recovery.Stroke. 2005; 36: 1480-1484
- Strategies to enhance chronic disease self-management: how can we apply this to stroke?.Disabil Rehabil. 2006; 28: 841-847
- Outcome and time course of recovery in stroke, part II: time course of recovery. The Copenhagen Stroke Study.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 1995; 76: 406-412
- Outcome and time course of recovery in stroke, part I: outcome. The Copenhagen Stroke Study.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 1995; 76: 399-405
- Evidence-based cognitive rehabilitation: updated review of the literature from 2003 through 2008.ArchPhys Med Rehabil. 2011; 92: 519-530
- Efficacy of physiotherapy interventions late after stroke: a meta-analysis.J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2011; 82: 136-143
- Comprehensive rehabilitation programmes in the chronic phase after severe brain injury: a systematic review.J Rehabil Med. 2010; 42: 97-110
- Neuroplasticity in the context of motor rehabilitation after stroke: nature reviews.Neurology. 2011; 7: 76-85
- The status of telerehabilitation in neurological applications.J Telemed Telecare. 2013; 19: 307-310
- Development, implementation, and evaluation of a telemedicine service for the treatment of acute stroke patients: TeleStroke.Interact J Med Res. 2012; 1: e15
- Effectiveness of a Wii balance board-based system (eBaViR) for balance rehabilitation: a pilot randomized clinical trial in patients with acquired brain injury.J Neuroeng Rehabil. 2011; 8: 30
- Cochrane review: virtual reality for stroke rehabilitation.Eur J Phys Rehabil Med. 2012; 48: 523-530
- Virtual reality-induced cortical reorganization and associated locomotor recovery in chronic stroke: an experimenter-blind randomized study.Stroke. 2005; 36: 1166-1171
- Incorporating robotic-assisted telerehabilitation in a home program to improve arm function following stroke.J Neurolog Phys Ther. 2013; 37: 125-132
- Telerehabilitation using a virtual environment improves upper extremity function in patients with stroke.IEEE Trans Neural Syst Rehabil Eng. 2007; 15: 36-42
- Technical and patient performance using a virtual reality-integrated telerehabilitation system: preliminary finding.IEEE Trans Neural Syst Rehabil Eng. 2007; 15: 30-35
- Telerehabilitation: remote multimedia-supported assistance and mobile monitoring of balance training outcomes can facilitate the clinical staff's effort.Int J Rehabil Res. 2013; 36: 162-171
- Development of the Brunel Balance Assessment: a new measure of balance disability post stroke.Clin Rehabil. 2004; 18: 801-810
- “Mini-Mental State”: a practical method for grading the cognitive state of patients for the clinician.J Psychiatr Res. 1975; 12: 189-198
- Clinical usefulness of the Spanish version of the Mississippi Aphasia Screening Test (MASTsp): validation in stroke patients.Neurologia. 2012; 27 ([in Spanish]): 216-224
- Measuring balance in the elderly: validation of an instrument.Can J Public Health. 1992; 83: S7-S11
- Performance-oriented assessment of mobility problems in elderly patients.J Am Geriatr Soc. 1986; 34: 119-126
- SUS: a quick and dirty usability scale.in: Jordan P.W. Weerdmeester B. Thomas A. McLelland I.L. Usability evaluation in industry. Taylor & Francis, London1996 (p 189-94)
- Psychometric properties of the Intrinsic Motivation Inventory in a competitive sport setting: a confirmatory factor analysis.Res Q Exerc Sport. 1989; 60: 48-58
- Reliability and validity of measures obtained from stroke patients using the Balance Master.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 1996; 77: 425-430
- Balance recovery through virtual stepping exercises using Kinect skeleton tracking: a follow-up study with chronic stroke patients.Stud Health Technol Inform. 2012; 181: 108-112
- BioTrak virtual reality system: effectiveness and satisfaction analysis for balance rehabilitation in patients with brain injury.Neurologia. 2013; 28: 268-275
- Improvement in balance using a virtual reality-based stepping exercise: a randomized controlled trial involving individuals with chronic stroke.Clin Rehabil. 2014 Jul 23; ([Epub ahead of print])
- Virtual reality for stroke rehabilitation.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2011; : CD008349
- Randomized comparison trial of balance training by using exergaming and conventional weight-shifting therapy in patients with chronic stroke.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2014; 95: 1629-1637
Supported in part by the Ministry of Economy and Competitiveness, Project TEREHA (IDI-20110844) and by the Ministry of Education and Science, projects Consolider-C (SEJ2006-14301/PSIC), “CIBER of Physiopathology of Obesity and Nutrition, an initiative of ISCIII,” and the Excellence Research Program PROMETEO (Generalitat Valenciana, Conselleria de Educación, 2008-157).