To record diaphragm excursion via M-mode ultrasonography in stroke patients with dysphagia and determine whether they present reduced diaphragm excursion during voluntary cough compared with stroke patients without dysphagia and healthy subjects.
Prospective cross-sectional study.
University rehabilitation hospital.
Acute stroke patients with dysphagia (n=23), acute stroke patients without dysphagia (n=24), and healthy control participants (n=27) (N=74).
Main Outcome Measures
Diaphragm motions during quiet breathing, deep breathing, and voluntary coughing were recorded via ultrasonography using M-mode tracing (mm). Maximum inspiratory and expiratory pressures (cmH2O) and peak cough flow (L/min) during voluntary coughing were measured.
The mean diaphragm movement (mm) of the hemiplegic side for all groups during quiet breathing, deep breathing, and voluntary coughing was 14.8±4.3, 17.6±4.8, and 20.9±3.7 (P<.001); 23.8±7.1, 32.7±10.6, and 44.7±10.3 (P<.001); and 16.8±4.8, 28.5±4.9, and 36.0±8.2 (P<.001), respectively. The differences were statistically significant. Differences were observed in the maximum inspiratory (P<.001) and expiratory (P<.001) pressures and peak cough flow (P=.027) among the 3 groups. Forward selection stepwise regression analysis, which was performed to determine variables that help predict diaphragm excursion during voluntary coughing, showed that the presence of dysphagia explained up to 60% (P<.001) of the hemiplegic diaphragm movement during voluntary coughing in patients with stroke.
M-mode ultrasonography showed that stroke patients with dysphagia have decreased diaphragm excursion and compromised respiratory function during voluntary coughing.
List of abbreviations:DB (deep breathing), FEV1 (forced expiratory volume in 1 second), FVC (forced vital capacity), MBI (Modified Barthel Index), MEP (maximum expiratory pressure), MIP (maximum inspiratory pressure), NIHSS (National Institutes of Health Stroke Scale), PCF (peak cough flow), QB (quiet breathing), VC (voluntary cough)
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Diaphgramatic function, diaphragmatic paralysis and eventration of the diaphragm.in: Shields T.W. General thoracic surgery. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Baltimore1994: 607-611
- Global physiology and pathophysiology of cough: ACCP evidence-based clinical practice guidelines.Chest. 2006; 129: 48S-53S
- Acute stroke phase voluntary cough and correlation with maximum phonation time.Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 2012; 91: 494-500
- Diaphragmatic movement in hemiplegic patients measured by ultrasonography.Thorax. 1994; 49: 890-895
- Diaphragm ultrasonography as an alternative to whole-body plethysmography in pulmonary function testing.J Ultrasound Med. 2006; 25: 225-232
- An evaluation of diaphragmatic movements in hemiplegic patients.Br J Radiol. 2012; 85: 411-414
- Restrictive ventilatory dysfunction in stroke: its relation to locomotor function.Scand J Rehabil Med Suppl. 1983; 9: 118-124
- Effects of hemiplegy on pulmonary function and diaphragmatic dome displacement.Respir Physiol Neurobiol. 2011; 178: 196-201
- Chest wall kinematics in patients with hemiplegia.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2003; 168: 109-113
- Quantification of diaphragm function using ultrasound: evaluation of a novel technique.Ultrasound Med Biol. 2010; 36: 1965-1969
- Diaphragmatic motion studied by m-mode ultrasonography: methods, reproducibility, and normal values.Chest. 2009; 135: 391-400
- Technical report: quantitative assessment of diaphragmatic movement–a reproducible method using ultrasound.Clin Radiol. 1992; 46: 405-407
- ATS/ERS Statement on respiratory muscle testing.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2002; 166: 518-624
- Portable measurement of maximum mouth pressures.Eur Respir J. 1994; 7: 398-401
- Functional evaluation: the Barthel Index.Md State Med J. 1965; 14: 61-65
- Assessing motor impairment after stroke: a pilot reliability study.J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 1990; 53: 576-579
- Motor evaluation in vascular hemiplegia.Eur Neurol. 1980; 19: 382-389
- “Mini-mental state”. A practical method for grading the cognitive state of patients for the clinician.J Psychiatr Res. 1975; 12: 189-198
- Validity and reliability of a Korean version of the national institutes of health stroke scale.J Clin Neurol. 2012; 8: 177-183
- Initial psychometric assessment of a functional oral intake scale for dysphagia in stroke patients.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2005; 86: 1516-1520
- A penetration-aspiration scale.Dysphagia. 1996; 11: 93-98
- Comparison of ultrasound with fluoroscopy in the assessment of suspected hemidiaphragmatic movement abnormality.Clin Radiol. 1995; 50: 95-98
- Respiratory function in hemiplegic patients.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 1967; 48: 174-179
- Predicting aspiration in patients with ischemic stroke: comparison of clinical signs and aerodynamic measures of voluntary cough.Chest. 2009; 135: 769-777
- Aspiration following stroke: clinical correlates and outcome.Neurology. 1988; 38: 1359-1362
- Cough and aspiration of food and liquids due to oral-pharyngeal dysphagia: ACCP evidence-based clinical practice guidelines.Chest. 2006; 129: 154s-168s
- Simplified cough test for screening silent aspiration.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2012; 93: 1982-1986
- Comparison of cough reflex test against instrumental assessment of aspiration.Physiol Behav. 2013; 118: 25-31
- Acute ischaemic hemispheric stroke is associated with impairment of reflex in addition to voluntary cough.Eur Respir J. 2010; 36: 1383-1390
- Distribution and course of cortico-respiratory projections for voluntary activation in man. A transcranial magnetic stimulation study in healthy subjects and patients with cerebral ischemia.J Neurol. 2002; 249: 735-744
- What is cough and what should be measured?.Pulm Pharmacol Ther. 2007; 20: 307-312
- Voluntary cough production and swallow dysfunction in Parkinson's disease.Dysphagia. 2008; 23: 297-301
- Surface electromyographic activity of the submental muscles during swallow and expiratory pressure threshold training tasks.Dysphagia. 2007; 22: 108-116
- Aspiration and swallowing in Parkinson disease and rehabilitation with EMST: a randomized trial.Neurology. 2010; 75: 1912-1919
- Effect of aging on cough and swallowing reflexes: implications for preventing aspiration pneumonia.Lung. 2012; 190: 29-33
- Co-ordination of spontaneous swallowing with respiratory airflow and diaphragmatic and abdominal muscle activity in healthy adult humans.Exp Physiol. 2009; 94: 459-468
- Spectral analysis of human inspiratory diaphragmatic electromyograms.J Appl Physiol Respir Environ Exerc Physiol. 1979; 46: 152-165
Published online: September 15, 2014
Supported by the Catholic Medical Center Research Foundation (grant no. 5-2012-B0001-0002).
Clinical Trial Registration No.: NCT01637649.
© 2015 American Congress of Rehabilitation Medicine. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.