Main Outcomes Measures
List of abbreviations:MWC (manual wheelchair), PWC (powered wheelchair), SMD (standardized mean difference), WW (wheeled walker)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Trends and issues in wheelchair technologies.Assist Technol. 2008; 20: 61-72
- Wheelchairs, walkers, and canes: what does Medicare pay for, and who benefits?.Health Aff (Millwood). 2005; 24: 1140-1149
- Wheeled mobility (wheelchair) service delivery: scope of the evidence.Ann Intern Med. 2012; 156: 141-146
- Mobilizing to address increasing population disability.Ann Intern Med. 2012; 156: 160-161
- Medicare coverage – general information.(Available at:)Accessed May 2, 2013)
- Assistive devices for balance and mobility: benefits, demands, and adverse consequences.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2005; 86: 134-145
- Powered mobility for middle-aged and older adults: systematic review of outcomes and appraisal of published evidence.Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 2008; 87: 666-680
- Mobility devices to promote activity and participation: a systematic review.J Rehabil Med. 2009; 41: 697-706
- Disparities in usage of assistive technology among people with disabilities.Assist Technol. 2008; 20: 194-203
- Demographic and clinical variation in Veteran Health Administration assistive technology device provision to veterans poststroke.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2010; 91: 369-377
- Low use of durable medical equipment by chronically disabled elderly.J Pain Symptom Manage. 2007; 33: 324-330
- Assessment of rolling walkers used by older adults in senior-living communities.Geriatr Gerontol Int. 2009; 9: 124-130
- Wheelchairs as mobility restraints: predictors of wheelchair activity in nonambulatory nursing home residents.J Am Geriatr Soc. 1995; 43: 384-388
- Tracking mobility-related assistive technology in an outcomes study.Assist Technol. 2008; 20: 73-83
- Wheelchair utilization and satisfaction following cerebral vascular accident.J Rehabil Res Dev. 2002; 39: 521-534
- Factors contributing to possession and use of walking aids among persons with rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis.Arthritis Rheum. 2003; 49: 838-842
- Unintentional fall injuries associated with walkers and canes in older adults treated in US emergency departments.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2009; 57: 1464-1469
- Wheelchair-related accidents: relationship with wheelchair-using behavior in active community wheelchair users.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2011; 92: 892-898
- Wheelchair-related falls in veterans with spinal cord injury residing in the community: a prospective cohort study.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2010; 91: 1166-1173
- Experiences acquiring and using mobility aids among working-age persons with multiple sclerosis living in communities in the United States.Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 2010; 89: 1010-1023
- A review of the conceptual models for assistive technology outcomes research and practice.Assist Technol. 2003; 15: 1-15
- International Classification of Functioning, Disability and Health (ICF).(Available at:)Accessed July 5, 2013)
- A clinical trial of a rehabilitation expert clinician versus usual care for providing manual wheelchairs.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2005; 53: 1712-1720
- Environmental demands associated with and without mobility disabilities.Phys Ther. 2002; 82: 670-681
- Fatigue assessments in rheumatoid arthritis: comparative performance of visual analog scales and longer fatigue questionnaires in 7760 patients.J Rheumatol. 2004; 31: 1896-1902
- Body pain area and pain-related affect predict clinical pain intensity in patients with fibromyalgia.J Pain. 2004; 5: 338-343
- Applied longitudinal data analysis: modeling change and event occurrence.Oxford Univ Pr, New York2003
- Base SAS® 9.3 procedures guidelines.SAS Institute Inc, Cary2011
- Population-based reference values of handgrip strength and functional tests of muscle strength and balance in men aged 70-80 years.Arch Gerontol Geriatr. 2011; 53: e114-e117
- Functional reach: a new clinical measure of balance.J Gerontol. 1990; 45: 192-197
- Clinical utility of the 2-minute walk test for older adults living in long-term care.Physiother Can. 2009; 61: 78-87
- Another look at pedestrian walking speed.Transportation Research Board. 2006; 1982: 21-29
- Effect of motorized scooters on physical performance and mobility: a randomized clinical trial.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2007; 88: 279-286
Valentine D, Nipps E. Fatal St. Petersburg scooter-wheelchair crash raises unusual questions. St. Petersburg Times. December 1, 2010:2. Available at: http://www.tampabay.com/news/publicsafety/accidents/fatal-st-petersburg-scooter-wheelchair-crashraises-unusual-questions/1137488. Accessed October 14, 2014.
- A retrospective description of lower extremity fracture care in patients with spinal cord injury.J Spinal Cord Med. 2013 Nov 7; ([Epub ahead of print])
- Manual wheelchair pushrim biomechanics and axle position.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2000; 81: 608-613
- Update on distance and velocity requirements for community ambulation.J Geriatr Phys Ther. 2010; 33: 128-134
- When walking fails: mobility problems of adults with chronic conditions.in: Milbank Memorial Fund, New York2003: 197-222
- North Carolina: Southern Mobility and Medical (SMM).2013 (Available at: http://www.southernmobilityonline.com/find-out-if-you-qualify. Accessed August 14, 2013)
Hoveround. Available at: http://www.hoveround.com/home. Accessed August 14, 2013.
Hoenig H, Cone C, Morgan M, Landerman L, Caves K. Effects of wheelchair mobility performance in community and home environments. In: Rehabilitation Engineering and Assistive Technology Society of North America Annual Conference. Baltimore (MD); 2012 July.
Supported by the National Institute on Disability and Rehabilitation Research, Rehabilitation Engineering Research Center on Wheeled Mobility (grant no. H133E030035-04).