Main Outcome Measure
List of abbreviations:EF (environmental factor), ICF (International Classification of Functioning, Disability and Health), PROMIS (Patient Reported Outcomes Measurement Information System), SCI (spinal cord injury), TBI (traumatic brain injury)
- The future of disability in America.National Academies Pr, Washington (DC)2007
Fougeyrollas P, Cloutier R, Bergeron H, Côté J, St Michel G. Quebec Classification: disability creation process. International Network on the Disability Creation Process. 1988. Available at: http://www.indcp.qc.ca/hdm-dcp/how-use-dcp/quebec-classification-disability-creation-process. Accessed October 15, 2013.
- The politics of disablement.Macmillan Education, London1990
- Difficult to measure constructs: conceptual and methodological issues concerning participation and environmental factors.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2009; 90: S22-35
United Nations. Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities. 2006. Available at: http://www.un.org/disabilities/convention/conventionfull.shtml. Accessed October 30, 2013.
- International Classification of Functioning, Disability and Health (ICF).World Health Organization, Geneva2001
- Political science theory and disability.J Hum Behav Soc Environ. 2009; 19: 26-43
- Disability identity: exploring narrative accounts of disability.Rehabil Psychol. 2013; 58: 148-157
- Four types of integration in disability identity development.J Vocat Rehabil. 1997; 9: 39-46
- Can disability studies and psychology join hands?.Am Psychol. 2003; 58: 296-304
- Personal and societal attitudes to disability.Annals of Tourism Research. 2005; 32: 549-570
- Psychological resources and attitudes toward people with physical disabilities.J Appl Soc Psychol. 2010; 40: 389-401
- Attitudes, disability and the hospitality and tourism industry: the effects of a program for changing attitudes towards people with disabilities.Univ of Newcastle, New South Wales (Australia)1999
- Measuring stigma across neurological conditions: the development of the Stigma Scale for Chronic Illness (SSCI).Qual Life Res. 2009; 18: 585-595
- Environmental factors item development for persons with stroke, traumatic brain injury and spinal cord injury.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2015; 96: 589-595
- Quantifying environmental factors: a measure of physical, attitudinal, service, productivity, and policy barriers.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2004; 85: 1324-1335
- A discussion of item response theory (IRT) and its applications in health status assessment.Med Care. 2000; 38: 1166-1172
- Item response theory and health outcomes measurement in the 21st century.Med Care. 2000; 38: 28-42
- Issues in the development of an item bank.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2003; 84: S52-60
- Item banks and their potential applications to health status assessment in diverse populations.Med Care. 2006; 44: S189-S197
- Environmental barriers and supports to everyday participation: a qualitative insider perspective from people with disabilities.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2015; 96: 578-588
- Evaluation of item candidates: the PROMIS qualitative item review.Med Care. 2007; 45: S12-21
- Derivation of new readability formulas (Automated Readability Index, Fog Count and Flesch Reading Ease Formula) for Navy enlisted personnel.Naval Technical Training, U.S. Naval Air Station, Millington1975 (Research Branch Report No. 8-75)
Lennon C, Burdick H. The Lexile Framework as an approach for reading measurement and success. MetaMetrics, Inc. Available at: https://lexile.com. Accessed March 11, 2015.
- Scaling attitude items constructed and scored in the Likert tradition.Educ Psychol Meas. 1978; 38: 665-680
- Rating scale analysis: Rasch measurement.MESA Pr, Chicago1985
- Probabilistic models for some intelligence and attainment tests.Univ of Chicago Pr, Chicago1980
- Sample size and item calibration [or person measure] stability.Rasch Measurement Transactions. 1994; 7: 328
- Towards a common language for functioning, disability and health: ICF.World Health Organization, Geneva2002
- New English and Spanish social health measures will facilitate evaluating health determinants.Health Psychol. 2014; 33: 490-499
- Adding up the Glasgow Coma Score.Acta Neurochir Suppl (Wien). 1979; 28: 13-16
Fougeyrollas P, Noreau L, St-Michel G, Boschen K. Measure of the Quality of the Environment (MQE) version 2.0. Lac St-Charles: International Network of the Disability Creation Process, Canadian Society for the International Classification of Impairments, Disabilities and Handicaps; 1999.
- A conceptual framework for action on the social determinants of health. Social determinants of health discussion paper 2 (policy and practice).World Health Organization, Geneva2010
- Closing the gap in a generation: health equity through action on the social determinants of health.World Health Organization, Geneva2008
Supported by the National Institute on Disability and Rehabilitation Research (grant no. H133B090024 ). A portion of Dr. Garcia's time toward this publication was supported by the National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine and the National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases of the National Institutes of Health (award no. U54AR057951-S1).
The content of this publication is solely the responsibility of the authors and does not necessarily represent the official views of the National Institutes of Health.