Main Outcome Measures
List of abbreviations:PHQ-9 (Patient Health Questionnaire-9), TBI (traumatic brain injury), TBIMS (Traumatic Brain Injury Model Systems)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Major and minor depression after traumatic brain injury.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2011; 92: 1211-1219
- The nature, frequency and course of psychiatric disorders in the first year after traumatic brain injury: a prospective study.Psychol Med. 2011; 41: 2099-2109
- Rates of major depressive disorder and clinical outcomes following traumatic brain injury.JAMA. 2010; 303: 1938-1945
- Prevalence, severity, and comorbidity of 12-month DSM-IV disorders in the National Comorbidity Survey Replication.Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2005; 62: 617-627
- Prevalence of chronic pain after traumatic brain injury.JAMA. 2008; 300: 711-719
- Common chronic pain conditions in developed and developing countries: gender and age differences and comorbidity with depression-anxiety disorders.J Pain. 2008; 9: 883-891
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Health Statistics. Health, United States, 2010, chartbook: with special feature on death and dying. Hyattsville: CDC; 2010.
- The co-occurrence of pain and depression in adults with multiple sclerosis.Rehabil Psychol. 2013; 58: 217-221
- Reciprocal relationship between pain and depression: a 12-month longitudinal analysis in primary care.J Pain. 2011; 12: 964-973
- Depression and pain comorbidity.Arch Intern Med. 2003; 163: 2433-2445
- The depression-pain syndrome and its response to antidepressants.Psychosomatics. 1981; 22: 571-573
- Depression predicts disability in long-term chronic pain patients.Disabil Rehabil. 2002; 24: 334-340
- Impact of pain on the outcomes of depression treatment: results from the RESPECT trial.Pain. 2008; 134: 209-215
- Effect of depression treatment on depressive symptoms in older adulthood: the moderating role of pain.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2007; 55: 202-211
- Comorbid chronic pain and depression: who is at risk?.J Pain. 2009; 10: 619-627
- Systematic review of the literature on pain in patients with polytrauma including traumatic brain injury.Pain Med. 2009; 10: 1200-1217
- Structured interviews for the Glasgow Outcome Scale and the extended Glasgow Outcome Scale: guidelines for their use.J Neurotrauma. 1998; 15: 573-585
- Association of sleep and co-occurring psychological conditions at 1 year after traumatic brain injury.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2012; 93: 1313-1318
Jensen M, Karoly P. Self-report scales and procedures for assessing pain in adults. In: Turk DC, Melzack R, editors. Handbook of pain assessment. New York: The Guilford Press; 2001. p 15-34.
- Grading the severity of chronic pain.Pain. 1992; 50: 133-149
- Identification of cut-points for mild, moderate and severe pain due to diabetic peripheral neuropathy.Pain. 2005; 115: 29-36
- Categorising the severity of neck pain: establishment of cut-points for use in clinical and epidemiological research.Pain. 2005; 119: 176-182
- Categorizing pain in patients seen in a Veterans Health Administration hospital: pain as the fifth vital sign.Psychol Serv. 2008; 5: 239-250
- The PHQ-9: validity of a brief depression severity measure.J Gen Intern Med. 2001; 16: 606-613
- Validity of the Patient Health Questionnaire-9 in assessing depression following traumatic brain injury.J Head Trauma Rehabil. 2005; 20: 501-511
- Natural history of depression in traumatic brain injury.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2004; 85: 1457-1464
- Functional limitations and depression after traumatic brain injury: examination of the temporal relationship.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2008; 89: 1887-1892
Supported by the National Institute on Disability and Rehabilitation Research Traumatic Brain Injury Model Systems (grant no. H133A070032) and Department of Defense Congressionally Directed Medical Research Programs (grant no. W81XWH-12-2-0109).
No commercial party having a direct financial interest in the results of the research supporting this article has conferred or will confer a benefit on the authors or on any organization with which the authors are associated.