Main Outcome Measures
List of abbreviations:CI (confidence interval), IRR (incidence rate ratio), PY (person-year), SAYGO (Steady As You Go)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Interventions for preventing falls in older people living in the community.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2012; 9: CD007146
- Risk factors for falls in a community-based prospective study of people 70 years and older.J Gerontol. 1989; 44: M112-M117
- Circumstances and consequences of falls experienced by a community population 70 years and over during a prospective study.Age Ageing. 1990; 19: 136-141
- Risk factors for falls among elderly persons living in the community.N Engl J Med. 1988; 319: 1701-1707
- Incidence of and risk factors for falls and injurious falls among the community-dwelling elderly.Am J Epidemiol. 1993; 137: 342-354
- What are the main risk factors for falls amongst older people and what are the most effective interventions to prevent these falls?.WHO Regional Office for Europe (Health Evidence Network report), Copenhagen2004 (Available at:)Accessed April 5, 2004)
- Effect of a fall prevention program on balance maintenance using a quasi-experimental design in real-world settings.J Aging Health. 2012; 24: 827-845
- Definitions and methods of measuring and reporting on injurious falls in randomised controlled fall prevention trials: a systematic review.BMC Med Res Methodol. 2012; 12: 50-64
- Fear of falling and fall-related efficacy in relationship to functioning among community-living elders.J Gerontol. 1994; 49: M140-M147
- Risk factors of falls in community-dwelling older adults: logistic regression tree analysis.Gerontologist. 2012; 52: 822-832
- Development of a common outcome data set for fall injury prevention trials: the Prevention of Falls Network Europe consensus.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2005; 53: 1618-1622
- Randomised controlled trial of a general practice programme of home based exercise to prevent falls in elderly women.BMJ. 1997; 315: 1065-1069
- Evaluation of a peer-led falls prevention program for older adults.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2011; 92: 1581-1586
- Ways of measuring rates of recurrent events.BMJ. 1996; 312: 364-367
- Effectiveness and economic evaluation of a nurse delivered home exercise programme to prevent falls. 2: Controlled trial in multiple centres.BMJ. 2001; 322: 701-704
- Falls in older people: risk factors and strategies for prevention.Cambridge Univ Pr, Cambridge2007
- Incidence rate of falls in an aged population in northern Finland.J Clin Epidemiol. 1994; 47: 843-850
- Incidence and seasonality of falls amongst old people receiving home help services in a municipality in northern Sweden.Int J Circumpolar Health. 2011; 70: 195-204
- The epidemiology of falls and syncope.Clin Geriatr Med. 2002; 18: 141-185
- The cost of falls in older adults in the community.N Z Fam Physician. 2008; 35: 22-27
- Falls among healthy community-dwelling, older women: a prospective study of frequency, circumstances, consequences and prediction accuracy.Aust N Z J Public Health. 1999; 23: 41-48
- The effectiveness of a community-based program for reducing the incidence of falls in the elderly: a randomized trial.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2004; 52: 1487-1494
- External validity of physical activity interventions for community-dwelling older adults with fall risk: a quantitative systematic literature review.J Adv Nurs. 2012; 68: 2140-2154
- Effects of long-term exercise class on prevention of falls in community-dwelling elderly: Kahoku Longitudinal Aging Study.Geriatr Gerontol Int. 2007; 7: 357-362
- Older people's participation in and engagement with falls prevention interventions in community settings: an augment to the Cochrane systematic review.Age Ageing. 2012; 41: 16-23
New South Wales Department of Health, Falls—prevention of falls and harm from falls among older people: 2011-2015. Available at: http://www.health.nsw.gov.au/policies/pages/default.aspx. Accessed April 16, 2013.
- Recommendations for promoting the engagement of older people in activities to prevent falls.Qual Saf Health Care. 2007; 16: 230-234
- Exercise to prevent falls in older adults: an updated meta-analysis and best practice recommendations.N S W Public Health Bull. 2011; 22: 78-83
Supported in part by the Physiotherapy New Zealand Otago Branch.
No commercial party having a direct financial interest in the results of the research supporting this article has conferred or will confer a benefit on the authors or on any organization with which the authors are associated.