Main Outcomes Measures
List of abbreviations:BLS (Bureau of Labor Statistics), FROI (first report of injury), ICD-9 (International Classification of Diseases, 9th Revision), IWIF (Injured Workers' Insurance Fund)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Occupational injury and illness in the United States: estimates of costs, morbidity, and mortality.Arch Intern Med. 1997; 157: 1557-1568
- Estimating the costs of occupational injury in the United States.Accid Anal Prev. 1995; 27: 741-747
- Workers' compensation: benefits, coverage, and costs, 2006.National Academy of Social Insurance, Washington (DC)2008
Bureau of Labor Statistics, United States Department of Labor. Nonfatal occupational injuries and illnesses requiring days away from work, 2008. Washington (DC): Bureau of Labor Statistics, United States Department of Labor; 2009.
Bureau of Labor Statistics, United States Department of Labor. Nonfatal occupational injuries and illnesses requiring days away from work for state government and local government workers, 2008. Washington (DC): Bureau of Labor Statistics, United States Department of Labor; 2010.
Bureau of Labor Statistics, United States Department of Labor. Occupational injuries and illnesses: industry data, 2008. Washington (DC): Bureau of Labor Statistics, United States Department of Labor; 2009.
- Work-related burns in Washington state, 1994-1998.J Occup Environ Med. 2002; 44: 692-699
- Occupational upper extremity disorders in the federal workplace. Prevalence, health care expenditures, and patterns of work disability.J Occup Environ Med. 1998; 40: 546-555
- Trends in disability duration and cost of workers' compensation low back pain claims, 1988-1996.J Occup Environ Med. 1998; 40: 1110-1119
- Compensation costs of work-related back disorders among union carpenters, Washington state, 1989-2003.Am J Ind Med. 2009; 52: 587-595
- Occupational eye injury and risk reduction: Kentucky workers' compensation claim analysis 1994-2003.Inj Prev. 2009; 15: 176-192
- Claims incidence of work-related disorders of the upper extremities: Washington state, 1987-1995.Am J Public Health. 1998; 88: 1827-1833
- Back injuries in industry: a retrospective study. I. Overview and cost analysis.Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 1986; 11: 241-245
- Scientific approach to the assessment and management of activity-related spinal disorders. A monograph for clinicians. Report of the Quebec Task Force on Spinal Disorders.Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 1987; 12: S1-59
- The cost of compensable upper extremity cumulative trauma disorders.J Occup Med. 1994; 36: 713-717
- The cost of 1989 workers' compensation low back pain claims.Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 1994; 19: 1111-1116
- Health care and indeminity costs across the natural history of disability in occupational low back pain.Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 1998; 23: 2329-2336
- The use of state workers' compensation administrative data to identify injury scenarios and quantify costs of work-related traumatic brain injuries.J Safety Res. 2006; 37: 75-81
- Workers' compensation experience in North Carolina residential construction workers, 1986-1994.Appl Occup Environ Hyg. 1999; 14: 97-106
- Workers' compensation experience of Colorado agriculture workers, 2000-2004.Am J Ind Med. 2006; 49: 900-910
- Supermarket workers: their work and thier health, particularly their self-reported musculoskeletal problems and compensable injuries.Work. 2008; 30: 493-510
- Injuries and illnesses among hospital workers in Ohio. A study of workers' compensation claims from 1993-1996.J Occup Environ Med. 1999; 41: 53-59
- Work-related injuries in drywall construction.Appl Occup Environ Hyg. 2000; 15: 794-802
- Evaluation of the burden of logging injuries using West Virginia workers' compensation claims data from 1996-2001.Am J Ind Med. 2006; 49: 1039-1045
- Prioritizing prevention opportunities in the Washington state construction industry, 2003-2007.J Safety Res. 2010; 41: 197-202
- Non-fatal construction industry injuries treated in hospital emergency departments in the United States, 1998-2005.Am J Ind Med. 2010; 53: 570-580
- Costs of occupational injury and illness within the health services sector.J Health Serv. 2005; 39: 343-359
- Cause, type, and workers' compensation costs of injury to fire fighters.Am J Ind Med. 2003; 43: 454-458
- High-quality controlled trials on preventing episodes of back problems: systematic literature review in working-age adults.Spine J. 2009; 9: 147-168
- The effect of individual job coaching and the use of health threat in a job-specific occupational health education program on prevention of work-related musculoskeletal back injury.J Occup Environ Med. 2009; 51: 1413-1421
- The effectiveness of back pain and injury prevention programs in the workplace.Work. 2003; 20: 257-266
- Low back pain interventions at the workplace: a systematic literature review.Occup Med. 2004; 54: 3-13
- An update of a systematic review of controlled clinical trials on the primary prevention of back pain at the workplace.Occup Med. 2004; 54: 345-352
- Costs by industry and diagnosis among musculoskeletal claims in a state workers compensation system: 1999-2004.Am J Ind Med. 2010; 53: 276-284
Bureau of Labor Statistics, United States Department of Labor. Consumer Price Index (CPI) history table, 1913 to present. Washington (DC): Bureau of Labor Statistics, United States Department of Labor; 2010.
Md Code Ann Labor Development §9–503.
- International variation in absence from work attributed to musculoskeletal illness: findings from the CUPID study.Occup Environ Med. 2013; 70: 575-584
Supported by the Injury Workers' Insurance Fund of Maryland.
No commercial party having a direct financial interest in the results of the research supporting this article has conferred or will confer a benefit on the authors or on any organization with which the authors are associated.