Main Outcome Measure
List of abbreviations:BZD (benzodiazepine), CI (confidence interval), FY (fiscal year), HR (hazard ratio), ICD-9 (International Statistical Classification of Diseases, 9th revision), SAS (Statistical Analysis System), SCD (Spinal Cord Dysfunction), SCI (spinal cord injury), SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor), VA (Veterans Affairs)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Incidence of spinal cord injury worldwide: a systematic review.Neuroepidemiology. 2010; 34 (discussion 92): 184-192
- Supralesional and sublesional bone mineral density in spinal cord-injured patients.Bone. 2000; 27: 305-309
- Early treatment with zoledronic acid prevents bone loss at the hip following acute spinal cord injury.Osteoporos Int. 2011; 22: 271-279
- Effect of alendronate on bone mineral density in spinal cord injury patients: a pilot study.Spinal Cord. 2005; 43: 341-348
- Effect of pamidronate administration on bone in patients with acute spinal cord injury.J Rehabil Res Dev. 2005; 42: 305-313
- [Osteoporosis in spinal cord injury. Screening and treatment. Results of a survey of physical medicine and rehabilitation physician practices in France. Proposals for action to be taken towards the screening and the treatment] [French].Ann Phys Rehabil Med. 2010; 53: 615-620
- The changing landscape of spinal cord injury.Handb Clin Neurol. 2012; 109: 149-166
- Non-pharmacological treatment and prevention of bone loss after spinal cord injury: a systematic review.Spinal Cord. 2009; 47: 508-518
- Spinal cord injury-induced osteoporosis: pathogenesis and emerging therapies.Curr Osteoporos Rep. 2012; 10: 278-285
- Mechanisms of osteoporosis in spinal cord injury.Clin Endocrinol (Oxf). 2006; 65: 555-565
- Increased monocyte interleukin-1 activity and decreased vertebral bone density in patients with fasting idiopathic hypercalciuria.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1990; 71: 138-145
- Thiazide diuretics and the risk of hip fracture.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2011; 10: CD005185
- Using VA data for research in persons with spinal cord injuries and disorders: lessons from SCI QUERI.J Rehabil Res Dev. 2010; 47: 679-688
- Incidence of fractures in a cohort of veterans with chronic multiple sclerosis or traumatic spinal cord injury.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2008; 89: 237-243
- Pharmacy data in the VA health care system.Med Care Res Rev. 2003; 60: 92S-123S
- Anticonvulsant use, bipolar disorder, and risk of fracture among older adults in the Veterans Health Administration.Am J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2010; 18: 245-255
- [Anticoagulants and osteoporosis] [French].Rev Med Suisse. 2007; 3: 1508-1511
- Glucocorticoids and the risk of osteoporosis.Expert Opin Drug Saf. 2009; 8: 33-47
- Loop diuretic use and increased rates of hip bone loss in older men: the Osteoporotic Fractures in Men Study.Arch Intern Med. 2008; 168: 735-740
- Opioid analgesics and the risk of fractures in older adults with arthritis.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2011; 59: 430-438
- Proton pump inhibitor use, hip fracture, and change in bone mineral density in postmenopausal women: results from the Women’s Health Initiative.Arch Intern Med. 2010; 170: 765-771
- Fracture risks of antidepressants.Expert Rev Neurother. 2009; 9: 137-141
- Anxiolytics, sedatives, antidepressants, neuroleptics and the risk of fracture.Osteoporos Int. 2006; 17: 807-816
- Thiazolidinediones and fractures: evidence from translating research into action for diabetes.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2010; 95: 4560-4565
- Summary of AHRQ’s comparative effectiveness review of treatment to prevent fractures in men and women with low bone density or osteoporosis: update of the 2007 report.J Manag Care Pharm. 2012; 18 (discussion S3): S1-15
- Accessibility to spinal cord injury care worldwide: the need for poverty reduction.Spinal Cord. 2011; 49: 767
- Evaluation of thiazide diuretic use as a preferred therapy in uncomplicated essential hypertension patients.Pharm Pract. 2007; 5: 130-134
- Cardiovascular disease risk factors in persons with paraplegia: the Stockholm spinal cord injury study.J Rehabil Med. 2010; 42: 272-278
- Males aging with a spinal cord injury: prevalence of cardiovascular and metabolic conditions.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2012; 93: 90-95
- Impact of the ALLHAT/JNC7 Dissemination Project on thiazide-type diuretic use.Arch Intern Med. 2010; 170: 851-858
- Thiazide diuretics and the risk for hip fracture.Ann Intern Med. 2003; 139: 476-482
- Vitamin D and intestinal calcium absorption.Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2011; 347: 25-29
- Vitamin D repletion does not alter urinary calcium excretion in healthy postmenopausal women.BJU Int. 2009; 104: 1512-1516
- Reduced fracture risk in users of thiazide diuretics.Calcif Tissue Int. 2005; 76: 167-175
- Mineral metabolism in spinal cord injury.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 1980; 61: 139-142
- Cardiovascular and urological dysfunction in spinal cord injury.Acta Neurol Scand Suppl. 2011; 191: 71-78
Akhigbe T, Chin A, Svircev J, et al. Fracture care in patients with spinal cord injury. J Spinal Cord Med; in press.
- Health care use and costs of veterans with neurotrauma.United States Department of Veterans Affairs Web site. 2009; (Available at:www.hsrd.research.va.gov/research/abstracts.cfm?Project_ID=2141699578. Accessed May 17, 2013)
Supported by the Department of Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration, Health Services Research and Development (grant no. IIR 08-033).
The contents do not represent the views of the Department of Veterans Affairs or the United States Government.
No commercial party having a direct financial interest in the results of the research supporting this article has conferred or will confer a benefit on the authors or on any organization with which the authors are associated.