Main Outcome Measures
List of abbreviations:AT (assistive technology), ICF (International Classification of Functioning, Disability and Health), PROMIS (Patient-Reported Outcomes Measurement Information System), SCI (spinal cord injury), TBI (traumatic brain injury)
Resolution adopted by the General Assembly of the United Nations. The Standard Rules on the Equalization of Opportunities for persons with Disabilities. 48th Session, agenda item 109. 1994. Available at: www.un.org/disabilities/default.asp?id=26. Accessed February 26, 2015.
National Disability Rights Network. Available at: http://www.ndrn.org/index.php. Accessed April 13, 2013.
World Health Organization. International Classification of Functioning, Disability, and Health (ICF) 2001. Geneva: WHO.
- The future of disability in America.National Academies Pr, Washington (DC)2007
- Difficult to measure constructs: conceptual and methodological issues concerning participation and environmental factors.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2009; 90: S22-S35
- Comparing the content of instruments assessing environmental factors using the International Classification of Functioning, Disability and Health.J Rehabil Med. 2012; 44: 1-6
- Enhancing the conceptual clarity of the activity and participation components of the International Classification of Functioning, Disability, and Health.Soc Sci Med. 2008; 66: 2335-2345
- Measurement of participation: intersecting person, task, and environment.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2010; 91: S29-S33
- Intersection of participation and environmental factors: a complex interactive process.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2010; 91: S44-S53
- Structural equation modeling of the relationships between participation in leisure activities and community environments by people with mobility impairments.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2010; 91: 1174-1181
Magasi S, Wong A, Wang C, et al. Theoretical foundations for the measurement of enviromental factors and participation among people with disabilities. Arch Phys Med Rehabil 2015;96:569-77.
- Evaluation of item candidates: the PROMIS qualitative item review.Med Care. 2007; 45: S12-S21
Hammel J, Magasi S, Heinemann AW, et al. Environmental barriers and supports to participation: an insider perspective from people with disabilities. Arch Phys Med Rehabil 2015;96:578-88.
- Participation survey/mobility: psychometric properties of a measure of participation for people with mobility impairments and limitations.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2006; 87: 189-197
- What does participation mean? An insider perspective from people with disabilities.Disabil Rehabil. 2008; 30: 1445-1460
- Traumatic brain injury patient-reported outcome measure: identification of health-related quality-of-life issues relevant to individuals with traumatic brain injury.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2011; 92: S52-S60
Heinemann AW, Magasi S, Bode RK, et al. Measuring enfranchisement: importance and control of participation by people with disabilities. Arch Phys Med Rehabil 2013;94:2157-65.
- Developing a contemporary patient-reported outcomes measure for spinal cord injury.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2011; 92: S44-S51
- Basics of qualitative research: techniques and procedures for developing grounded theory.2nd ed. Sage, Thousand Oaks1998
- Standardizing patient-reported outcomes assessment in cancer clinical trials: a PROMIS initiative.J Clin Oncol. 2007; 25: 5106-5112
- Participation: a comparative analysis of multiple rehabilitation stakeholders' perspectives.J Rehabil Med. 2009; 41: 936-944
- Health outcomes assessment in vulnerable populations: measurement challenges and recommendations.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2003; 84: S35-S42
- The Lexile framework.Metametrics, Durham1998
National Institutes of Health. PROMIS® Instrument Development and Psychometric Evaluation Scientific Standards. 2012. Available at: http://www.nihpromis.org/Documents/PROMIS_Standards_050212.pdf. Accessed February 11, 2013.
- Measuring stigma across neurological conditions: the development of the stigma scale for chronic illness (SSCI).Qual Life Res. 2009; 18: 585-595
Garcia SF, Hahn EA, Magasi S, et al. Development of self-report measures of social attitudes that act as environmental barriers and facilitators for people with disabilities. Arch Phys Med Rehabil 2015;96:596-603.
- Measurement and evidence of environmental determinants of participation in spinal cord injury: a systematic review of the literature.Top Spinal Cord Inj Rehabil. 2010; 15: 26-48
- Domain sets and measurement instruments on participation and environmental factors in spinal cord injury research.Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 2011; 90: S66-S78
Tulsky DS, Kisala PA, Lai JS, Carlozzi N, Hammel J, Heinemann A. Developing an item bank to measure economic quality of life for individuals with disabilities. Arch Phys Med Rehabil; 2015;96:604-13.
- Psychometric evaluation and calibration of health-related quality of life item banks: plans for the Patient-Reported Outcomes Measurement Information System (PROMIS).Med Care. 2007; 45: S22-S31
Supported by the National Institute on Disability and Rehabilitation Research through a Rehabilitation Research and Training Center on Improving Measurement of Medical Rehabilitation Outcomes grant (no. H133B090024 ) awarded to the Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago; and a portion of Garcia's time was supported by the National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine and the National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases of the National Institutes of Health (award no. U54AR0579510 ).
The content of this publication is solely the responsibility of the authors and does not necessarily represent the official views of the National Institutes of Health.
No commercial party having a direct financial interest in the results of the research supporting this article has conferred or will confer a benefit on the authors or on any organization with which the authors are associated.