I enjoyed reading the excellent study by Ray et al
1assessing the impact of a respiratory training program in multiple sclerosis in the October issue of the Archives. The value of respiratory training has received considerable attention over recent years in acute and chronic disease as well as in high-level athletic training.
- Ray A.D.
- Udhoji S.
- Mashtare T.L.
- Fisher N.M.
A combined inspiratory and expiratory muscle training program improves respiratory muscle strength and fatigue in multiple sclerosis.
Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2013; 94: 1964-1970
- Berlowitz D.J.
- Tamplin J.
Respiratory muscle training for cervical spinal cord injury.
Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2013; : CD008507
- Reyes A.
- Ziman M.
- Nosaka K.
Respiratory muscle training for respiratory deficits in neurodegenerative disorders: a systematic review.
Chest. 2013; 143: 1386-1394
4There is a sufficient amount of research to demonstrate that these techniques can improve respiratory endurance and produce functional benefits for daily life activities, whether these are sports-specific demands or normal life requirements.
- HajGhanbari B.
- Yamabayashi C.
- Buna T.R.
- et al.
Effects of respiratory muscle training on performance in athletes: a systematic review with meta-analyses.
J Strength Cond Res. 2013; 27: 1643-1663
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- A combined inspiratory and expiratory muscle training program improves respiratory muscle strength and fatigue in multiple sclerosis.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2013; 94: 1964-1970
- Respiratory muscle training for cervical spinal cord injury.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2013; : CD008507
- Respiratory muscle training for respiratory deficits in neurodegenerative disorders: a systematic review.Chest. 2013; 143: 1386-1394
- Effects of respiratory muscle training on performance in athletes: a systematic review with meta-analyses.J Strength Cond Res. 2013; 27: 1643-1663
- Mechanics of respiration during submersion in water.J Appl Physiol. 1969; 27: 535-538
- Aquatic therapy: scientific foundations and clinical rehabilitation applications.PM R. 2009; 1: 859-872
- Effects of Ai-Chi on balance, functional mobility, strength and fatigue in patients with multiple sclerosis: a pilot study.Neuro Rehabilitation. 2013; 33: 431-437
- Hydrotherapy for the treatment of pain in people with multiple sclerosis: a randomized controlled trial.Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2012; 2012: 473963
- Community-based group aquatic programme for individuals with multiple sclerosis: a pilot study.Disabil Rehabil. 2011; 33: 720-728
Disclosure: No commercial party having a direct financial interest in the results of the research supporting this article has conferred or will confer a benefit on the authors or on any organization with which the authors are associated.
© 2014 American Congress of Rehabilitation Medicine. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.