List of abbreviations:AGREE II (Appraisal of Guidelines for REsearch and Evaluation II), LOE (level of evidence), MA (meta-analysis), NICE (National Institute of Clinical Excellence), OA (osteoarthritis), RCT (randomized controlled trial), SOR (strength of recommendation)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
National Collaborating Centre for Chronic Conditions. Osteoarthritis: national clinical guideline for care and management in adults: Royal College of Physicians. 2008. Available at: http://www.nice.org.uk/CG059. Accessed November 26, 2012.
- Years lived with disability (YLDs) for 1160 sequelae of 289 diseases and injuries 1990-2010: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2010.Lancet. 2012; 380: 2163-2196
- The economic burden of disabling hip and knee osteoarthritis (OA) from the perspective of individuals living with this condition.Rheumatology (Oxford). 2005; 44: 1531-1537
- Global burden of osteoarthritis in the year 2000.World Health Organization, Geneva2003
- Ottawa panel evidence-based clinical practice guidelines for aerobic walking programs in the management of osteoarthritis.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2012; 93: 1269-1285
- The burden of waiting for hip and knee replacements in Ontario. Ontario Hip and Knee Replacement Project Team.J Eval Clin Pract. 1997; 3: 59-68
- Decline in health-related quality of life reported by more than half of those waiting for joint replacement surgery: a prospective cohort study.BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2011; 12: 108-116
- Users' Guides to the Medical Literature: XXV. Evidence-based medicine: principles for applying the Users' Guides to patient care.JAMA. 2000; 284: 1290-1296
- Does exercise reduce pain and improve physical function before hip or knee replacement surgery? A systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2013; 94: 164-176
AGREE. Appraisal of Guidelines for REsearch & Evaluation II: AGREEII instrument 2009. Available at: http://www.agreetrust.org/. Accessed January 14, 2013.
- AGREE II: advancing guideline development, reporting and evaluation in health care.Can Med Assoc J. 2010; 182: E839-E842
- A critical appraisal of guidelines for the management of knee osteoarthritis using Appraisal of Guidelines REsearch and Evaluation criteria.Arthritis Res Ther. 2007; 9: R126
- Quality appraisal of clinical practice guidelines on the use of physiotherapy in rheumatoid arthritis: a systematic review.Rheumatology (Oxford). 2011; 50: 1879-1888
Brand C, Buchbinder R, Wluka A, et al. Guideline for the nonsurgical management of hip and knee osteoarthritis 2009. Available at: http://www.nhmrc.gov.au/guidelines/. Accessed January 14, 2013.
- Osteoarthritis: clinical guideline 2003.S Afr Med J. 2003; 93: 972-990
Izquierdo R, Voloshin I, Edwards S, et al. The treatment of glenohumeral joint osteoarthritis: guideline and evidence report. Rosemont: American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons; 2009. Available at: http://www.aaos.org/research/guidelines/gloguideline.pdf. Accessed January 14, 2013.
Richmond J, Hunter D, Irrgang J, et al. Treatment of osteoarthritis of the knee (non-arthroplasty): full guideline. Rosemont: American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons; 2008. Available at: http://www.aaos.org/research/guidelines/oakguideline.pdf. Accessed January 14, 2013.
- Ottawa Panel evidence-based clinical practice guidelines for the management of osteoarthritis in adults who are obese or overweight.Phys Ther. 2011; 91: 843-861
- American College of Rheumatology 2012 recommendations for the use of nonpharmacologic and pharmacologic therapies in osteoarthritis of the hand, hip, and knee.Arthritis Care Res. 2012; 64: 465-474
- EULAR recommendations 2003: an evidence based approach to the management of knee osteoarthritis: report of a task force of the Standing Committee for International Clinical Studies Including Therapeutic Trials (ESCISIT).Ann Rheum Dis. 2003; 62: 1145-1155
- Evidence-based recommendations for the role of exercise in the management of osteoarthritis of the hip or knee—the MOVE consensus.Rheumatology (Oxford). 2005; 44: 67-73
- Evidence-based recommendations for the management of knee osteoarthritis: a consensus report of the Turkish League Against Rheumatism.Turkish J Rheumatol. 2012; 27: 1-17
- EULAR evidence based recommendations for the management of hip osteoarthritis: report of a task force of the EULAR Standing Committee for International Clinical Studies Including Therapeutics (ESCISIT).Ann Rheum Dis. 2005; 64: 669-681
- EULAR evidence based recommendations for the management of hand osteoarthritis: report of a task force of the EULAR Standing Committee for International Clinical Studies Including Therapeutics (ESCISIT).Ann Rheum Dis. 2007; 66: 377-388
- OARSI recommendations for the management of hip and knee osteoarthritis, part II: OARSI evidence-based, expert consensus guidelines.Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2008; 16: 137-162
- EULAR recommendations for the non-pharmacological core management of hip and knee osteoarthritis.Ann Rheum Dis. 2013; 72: 1125-1135
- Ottawa Panel evidence-based clinical practice guidelines for patient education programmes in the management of osteoarthritis.Health Educ J. 2011; 70: 318-358
- Ottawa Panel evidence-based clinical practice guidelines for therapeutic exercises and manual therapy in the management of osteoarthritis.Phys Ther. 2005; 85: 907-971
- EULAR recommendations for the management of knee osteoarthritis: report of a task force of the Standing Committee for International Clinical Studies Including Therapeutic Trials.Joint Bone Spine. 2001; 68: 231-240
- Physiotherapy in hip and knee osteoarthritis: development of a practice guideline concerning initial assessment, treatment and evaluation.Acta Reumatológica Portuguesa. 2011; 36: 268-281
- A critical appraisal of clinical practice guidelines for the treatment of lower-limb osteoarthritis.Arthritis Res. 2002; 4: 36-44
- The quality of clinical practice guidelines over the last two decades: a systematic review of guideline appraisal studies.Qual Saf Health Care. 2010; 19: e58
- Users' guides to the medical literature: essentials of evidence-based clinical practice.AMA Press, Chicago2002
No commercial party having a direct financial interest in the results of the research supporting this article has conferred or will confer a benefit on the authors or on any organization with which the authors are associated.