Main Outcome Measure
List of abbreviations:HHA (home health agency), IRF (inpatient rehabilitation facility), LOS (length of stay), OT (occupational therapy), PAC (post-acute care), SNF (skilled nursing facility)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- National Hospital Discharge Survey: 2007 summary.Natl Health Stat Rep. 2010; (1-20, 24)
- Mortality and locomotion 6 months after hospitalization for hip fracture: risk factors and risk-adjusted hospital outcomes.JAMA. 2001; 285: 2736-2742
- Incidence and mortality of hip fractures in the United States.JAMA. 2009; 302: 1573-1579
- Recent trends in hip fracture rates by race/ethnicity among older US adults.J Bone Miner Res. 2012; 27: 2325-2332
- Health services utilization after fractures: evidence from Medicare.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2010; 65: 1012-1020
- Post-acute care episodes expanded analytic file: final report prepared for Assistant Secretary for Planning and Evaluation (ASPE).RTI International, Waltham2011
- Patient relocation in the 6 months after hip fracture: risk factors for fragmented care.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2004; 52: 1826-1831
- Medicare spending and outcomes after postacute care for stroke and hip fracture.Med Care. 2010; 48: 776-784
- Report to the Congress: Medicare payment policy.Medicare Payment Advisory Committee, Washington (DC)March 1, 2010
- Outcomes and reimbursement of inpatient rehabilitation facilities and subacute rehabilitation programs for Medicare beneficiaries with hip fracture.Med Care. 2005; 43: 892-901
- Outcomes and costs after hip fracture and stroke: a comparison of rehabilitation settings.JAMA. 1997; 277: 396-404
- Functional outcomes of posthospital care for stroke and hip fracture patients under Medicare.J Am Geriatr Soc. 1998; 46: 1525-1533
- Analysis of rehabilitation activities within skilled nursing and inpatient rehabilitation facilities after hip replacement for acute hip fracture.Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 2010; 89: 530-540
- Effect of rehabilitation site on functional recovery after hip fracture.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2005; 86: 367-372
- Influence of rehabilitation site on hip fracture recovery in community-dwelling subjects at 6-month follow-up.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2006; 87: 1004-1006
- Patterns of rehabilitation after hip arthroplasty and the association with outcomes: an episode of care view.Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 2010; 89: 905-918
- A comparison of discharge functional status after rehabilitation in skilled nursing, home health, and medical rehabilitation settings for patients after lower-extremity joint replacement surgery.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2011; 92: 712-720
- Anaemia impedes functional mobility after hip fracture surgery.Age Ageing. 2008; 37: 173-178
- Predictors of outcome following hip fracture rehabilitation.PM R. 2010; 2: 799-805
- Pressure ulcers in elderly patients with hip fracture across the continuum of care.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2009; 57: 863-870
- Adverse effects of depression and cognitive impairment on rehabilitation participation and recovery from hip fracture.Int J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2004; 19: 472-478
- Adjusting for rater severity in an unlinked functional independence measure national database: an application of the many facets Rasch model.in: Smith R.M. Physical medicine and rehabilitation: state of the art reviews. Hanley & Belfus, Inc, Philadelphia1997: 325-332
- Best test design.MESA Pr, Chicago1979
- Applying the Rasch model: fundamental measurement in the human sciences.Erlbaum, Mahwah2001
- Rasch analysis of repeated measures.Rasch Meas Trans. 2011; 25: 1317
- A gentle introduction to Stata.Revised 3rd ed. Stata Pr, College Station2012
- A primer on regression artifacts.Guildford Pr, New York1999
- Commentary on the comparative effectiveness of alternative settings for joint replacement rehabilitation.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2009; 90: 1257-1259
- Selection bias as a specification error.Econometrica. 1979; 47: 153-161
- Post-acute care payment reform demonstration: final report volume 1 of 4.Centers for Medicare & Medicaid, Center for Medicare & Medicaid Innovation, Baltimore2012
Supported by the National Institute on Disability and Rehabilitation Research and Training Center on Measuring Rehabilitation Outcomes and Effectiveness (grant no. H133B040032).
No commercial party having a direct financial interest in the results of the research supporting this article has or will confer a benefit on the authors or on any organization with which the authors are associated (Mallinson, Tseng, Manheim, and Almagor).
A commercial party having a direct financial interest in the results of the research supporting this article has conferred or will confer a financial benefit on the author or one or more of the authors. Deutsch, Heinemann, and Bateman are employees of an inpatient rehabilitation facility.