List of abbreviations:FAT (Functional Assessment Taxonomy), FFM (5-factor model), ICF (International Classification of Functioning, Disability and Health), PROMIS (Patient-Reported Outcome Measurement Instrument System), RFC (residual functional capacity), SSA (Social Security Administration), SSDI (Social Security Disability Insurance), WHO (World Health Organization)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Disability determinations for adults with mental disorders: Social Security Administration vs independent judgments.Am J Public Health. 1994; 84: 1791-1795
- A profile of clients referred for psychiatric evaluation for Social Security Disability Income and Supplemental Security Income: implications for psychiatry.Am J Psychiatry. 1985; 142: 1037-1043
- Assessing normal and abnormal personality functioning: strengths and weaknesses of self-report, observer, and performance-based methods.J Pers Assess. 2007; 89: 30-40
- Explaining heterogeneity in disability with major depressive disorder: effects of personal and environmental characteristics.J Affect Disord. 2011; 132: 71-81
- Differential predictors of the long-term levels of pain intensity, work disability, healthcare use, and medication use in a sample of workers' compensation claimants.Pain. 2011; 152: 376-383
- Predictors of Shoulder Pain and Disability Index (SPADI) and work status after 1 year in patients with subacromial shoulder pain.BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2010; 11: 218
- Psychological influences on repetition-induced summation of activity-related pain in patients with chronic low back pain.Pain. 2009; 141: 70-78
- Toward a climate for work resumption: the nonmedical determinants of return to work.J Occup Environ Med. 2010; 52: 67-80
- Connecting contemporary paradigms to Social Security Administration's disability evaluation process.J Disabil Policy Stud. 2011; 20: 1-13
- Annual statistical report on the Social Security Disability Insurance program, 2011.Social Security Administration, Washington (DC)2012 (No. 13-11827)
Social Security Administration. Annual statistical report on the Social Security Disability Insurance program. Available at: http://www.ssa.gov/policy/docs/statcomps/di_asr/2009/di_asr09.pdf. Accessed October 10, 2011.
Social Security Administration. Annual statistical report on the Social Security Disability Insurance program, 2010. 2011; SSA Publication No. 13-11827. Available at: http://www.ssa.gov/policy/docs/statcomps/di_asr/2010/di_asr10.pdf. Accessed June 8, 2012.
- SSA's listing of impairments and agency access to medical expertise. Summary.in: Stobo J.D. McGeary M. Barnes D.K. Improving the Social Security disability decision process. The National Academies Pr, Washington (DC)2007: 1-12
- SSA's listing of impairments and agency access to medical expertise. 7 findings and recommendations.in: Stobo J.D. McGeary M. Barnes D.K. Improving the Social Security disability decision process. National Academies Pr, Washington (DC)2007: 89-112
Social Security Advisory Board disability roundtable. A disability system for the 21st century. Available at: http://www.ssab.gov/documents/disability-system-21st.pdf. Accessed October 15, 2010.
Social Security Administration. Social Security handbook. Available at: http://ssa.gov/OP_Home/handbook/handbook.html. Accessed December 22, 2012.
- The International Classification of Functioning, Disability and Health (ICF) is emerging as the principal framework for the description of health and health related status.Can J Occup Ther. 2008; 75: 134
- ICF: representing the patient beyond a medical classification of diagnoses.Perspect Health Inf Manag. 2005; 2: 7
- Clinical outcome measures in multiple sclerosis.J Neurol Sci. 2007; 259: 118-122
- Problems faced at work due to inflammatory arthritis: new insights gained from understanding patients' perspective.Arthritis Rheum. 2007; 57: 1269-1279
- From disablement to enablement: conceptual models of disability in the 20th century.Disabil Rehabil. 2008; 30: 1233-1244
- The ICF as a conceptual platform to specify and discuss health and health-related concepts.Gesundheitswesen. 2008; 70: e47-e56
World Health Organization. International classification of functioning, disability and health (ICF). 2001. Available at: http://apps.who.int/classifications/icfbrowser/. Accessed November 19, 2009.
- Introduction to special section: advancing the field of vocational rehabilitation with the International Classification of Functioning, Disability and Health (ICF).J Occup Rehabil. 2011; 21: 121-125
- A conceptual definition of vocational rehabilitation based on the ICF: building a shared global model.J Occup Rehabil. 2011; 21: 126-133
- Relationships between psychiatric symptomatology, work skills, and future vocational performance.Psychiatr Serv. 1995; 46: 353-358
- Unique issues in assessing work function among individuals with psychiatric disabilities.J Occup Rehabil. 2001; 11: 217-232
- Report from the CDC. Telephone focus groups: an emerging method in public health research.J Womens Health (Larchmt). 2003; 12: 945-951
- Interpersonal conflict as a predictor of work disability: a follow-up study of 15,348 Finnish employees.J Psychosom Res. 1996; 40: 157-167
- A personality trait-based interactionist model of job performance.J Appl Psychol. 2003; 88: 500-517
- Personality trait level and change as predictors of health outcomes: findings from a national study of Americans (MIDUS).J Gerontol B Psychol Sci Soc Sci. 2012; 67: 4-12
John OP, Pervin LA, editors. The big five trait taxonomy. In: Handbook of personality: theory and research. 2nd ed. New York/London: The Guilford Press; 2001. p 102-38.
- Mechanisms by which childhood personality traits influence adult well-being.Curr Dir Psychol Sci. 2008; 17: 264-268
- Five-factor personality dimensions and 3 health-related personality constructs as predictors of health.Croat Med J. 2009; 50: 394-402
- Development of a database of functional assessment measures related to work disability.J Occup Rehabil. 2001; 11: 177-199
- A unifying perspective on personality pathology across the life span: developmental considerations for the fifth edition of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders.Dev Psychopathol. 2009; 21: 687-713
- Five-factor model of personality and performance in jobs involving interpersonal interactions.Hum Perf. 1998; 11: 145
- Personality and performance at the beginning of the new millennium: what do we know and where do we go next.Int J Selection Assess. 2001; 9: 9
- Implementing the ICF in a psychiatric rehabilitation setting for people with serious mental illness in the Lombardy region of Italy.Disabil Rehabil. 2009; 31: S170-S173
- The role of the “International Classification of Functioning, Disability and Health, ICF” in the description and classification of mental disorders.Eur Arch Psychiatry Clin Neurosci. 2008; 258: 81-85
- Mental health in the workplace: using the ICF to model the prospective associations between symptoms, activities, participation and environmental factors.Disabil Rehabil. 2008; 30: 1289-1297
- ICF-based classification and measurement of functioning.Eur J Phys Rehabil Med. 2008; 44: 315-328
- The relationship of personality to affective disorders.Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1983; 40: 801-810
- Development of the Functional Assessment Taxonomy.J Occup Rehabil. 2001; 11: 155-175
- Perceived work stress, imbalance between work and family/personal lives, and mental disorders.Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol. 2006; 41: 541-548
- Health, disability, and work: patterns for the working age population.Int Tax Public Finance. 2010; 18: 146-165
- Factors explaining limitations in activities and restrictions in participation in rheumatoid arthritis.Eur J Phys Rehabil Med. 2010; 46: 169-177
OECD. Sickness, disability and work: breaking the barriers: a synthesis of findings across OECD countries. 2010. OECD Publishing. Available at: http://www.oecd-ilibrary.org/social-issues-migration-health/sickness-disability-and-work-breaking-the-barriers_9789264088856-en. Accessed December 4, 2011.
- Reliability and validity of the Disability Assessment Structured Interview (DASI): a tool for assessing functional limitations in claimants.J Occup Rehabil. 2010; 20: 33-40
- Identification of relevant ICF categories in vocational rehabilitation: a cross sectional study evaluating the clinical perspective.J Occup Rehabil. 2011; 21: 156-166
- Working Group of the European Union of Medicine in Assurance and Social Security. Development of ICF core set for disability evaluation in social security.Disabil Rehabil. 2008; 30: 1392-1396
PROMIS Cooperative Group. Patient-Reported Outcomes Measurement Information System (PROMIS). Domain frameworks–physical health. Available at: http://www.nihpromis.org/measures/domainframework1. Accessed July 17, 2012.
- The Patient-Reported Outcomes Measurement Information System (PROMIS): progress of an NIH Roadmap Cooperative Group during its first two years.Med Care. 2007; 45: S3-11
- Disability methodology redesign: considerations for a new approach to disability determination.J Occup Rehabil. 2001; 11: 135-142
- Relationships among lifting ability, grip force, and return to work.Phys Ther. 2002; 82: 249-256
- Development and construct validation of the hand function sort.J Occup Rehabil. 2001; 11: 75-86
- Content comparison of worker productivity questionnaires in arthritis and musculoskeletal conditions using the International Classification of Functioning, Disability, and Health framework.J Occup Rehabil. 2009; 19: 382-397
- Use of the International Classification of Functioning, Disability and Health: a literature survey.J Rehabil Med. 2009; 41: 1-12
- The mental health treatment study.Psychiatr Rehabil J. 2008; 31: 306-312
- Development of an instrument to measure behavioral health function for work disability: item pool construction and factor analysis.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2013; 94: 1670-1678
- Scale refinement and initial evaluation of a behavioral health function measurement tool for work disability evaluation.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2013; 94: 1679-1686
- Development of a self-report physical function instrument for disability assessment: item pool construction and factor analysis.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2013; 94: 1653-1660
- Development of a computer-adaptive physical function instrument for Social Security Administration disability determination.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2013; 94: 1661-1669
Supported by Social Security Administration and National Institutes of Health (SSA-NIH) Interagency Agreements (NIH contract nos. HHSN269200900004C , HHSN269201000011C , HHSN269201100009I ) and by the NIH intramural research program.
No commercial party having a direct financial interest in the results of the research supporting this article has conferred or will confer a benefit on the authors or on any organization with which the authors are associated.