Main Outcome Measures
List of abbreviations:AIS (American Spinal Injury Association Impairment Scale), CMG (case-mix group), CMI (case-mix index), CSI (Comprehensive Severity Index), IRF (inpatient rehabilitation facility), LOS (length of stay), OR (odds ratio), PHQ-9 (Personal Health Questionnaire-9), SCI (spinal cord injury), UTI (urinary tract infection)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Etiology and incidence of rehospitalization after traumatic spinal cord injury: a multicenter analysis.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2004; 85: 1757-1763
- Utilization of health services following spinal cord injury: a 6-year follow-up study.Spinal Cord. 2004; 42: 513-525
- Health system factors associated with rehospitalizations after traumatic spinal cord injury: a population-based study.Spinal Cord. 2009; 47: 604-609
- Patterns of morbidity and rehospitalisation following spinal cord injury.Spinal Cord. 2004; 42: 359-367
- Hospital care of postacute spinal cord lesion patients in Italy: analysis of readmissions into the GISEM study.Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 2008; 87: 619-626
- Hospital readmissions in people with chronic spinal cord injury.Spinal Cord. 2000; 38: 371-377
- A review of the readmissions of patients with tetraplegia to the Regional Spinal Injuries Centre, Southport, United Kingdom, between January 1994 and December 1995.Spinal Cord. 1998; 36: 838-846
- Hospital readmissions as a measure of quality of health care: advantages and limitations.Arch Intern Med. 2000; 160: 1074-1081
- Rehospitalizations among patients in the Medicare fee-for-service program.N Engl J Med. 2009; 360: 1418-1428
- Measure Applications Partnership of the National Quality Forum. Coordination strategy for post-acute care and long-term care performance measurement. Final report.National Quality Forum, Washington (DC)2012 (Available at: http://www.qualityforum.org/Publications/2012/02/MAP_Coordination_Strategy_for_Post-Acute_Care_and_Long-Term_Care_Performance_Measurement.aspx. Accessed August 12, 2012)
- National Quality Forum. Coordination strategy for healthcare-acquired conditions and readmissions across public and private payers. Final report.National Quality Forum, Washington (DC)2011 (Available at: http://www.qualityforum.org/Publications/2011/10/MAP_Coordination_Strategy_for_HealthcareAcquired_Conditions_and_Readmissions_Across_Public_and_Private_Payers.aspx. Accessed August 12, 2012)
- MedPAC Medicare Payment Advisory Commission. Report to the Congress: Medicare Payment Policy.Medicare Payment Advisory Commission, Washington (DC)March 2012
- New approach to study the contents and outcomes of spinal cord injury rehabilitation: the SCIRehab Project.J Spinal Cord Med. 2009; 32: 251-259
- The SCIRehab project: treatment time spent in SCI rehabilitation. Inpatient treatment time across disciplines in spinal cord injury rehabilitation.J Spinal Cord Med. 2011; 34: 133-148
- Reference manual for the international standards for neurological classification of spinal cord injury.American Spinal Injury Association, Chicago2003
- International standards for neurological classification of spinal cord injury (revised 2011).J Spinal Cord Med. 2001; 34: 535-546
- A study of the relationship between severity of illness and hospital cost in New Jersey hospitals.Health Serv Res. 1992; 27: 587-606
- Severity of illness and resource use differences among white and black hospitalized elderly.Arch Intern Med. 1992; 152: 1596-1603
- Results of a collaborative quality improvement program on outcomes and costs in a tertiary critical care unit.Crit Care Med. 1999; 27: 1768-1774
- Characterizing rehabilitation services for patients with knee and hip replacement in skilled nursing facilities and inpatient rehabilitation facilities.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2009; 90: 1269-1283
- Applying the clinical practice improvement approach to stroke rehabilitation: methods used and baseline results.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2005; 86: S16-S33
- The relationship between severity of illness and hospital length of stay and mortality.Med Care. 1991; 29: 305-317
- Development of a pediatric age- and disease-specific severity measure.J Pediatr. 2002; 141: 496-503
- Measuring medical complexity during inpatient rehabilitation after traumatic brain injury.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2005; 86: 1108-1117
- Severity assessment in children hospitalized with bronchiolitis using the pediatric component of the Comprehensive Severity Index.Pediatr Crit Care Med. 2000; 1: 127-132
- Association of various comorbidity measures with spinal cord injury rehabilitation outcomes.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2013; 94: S75-86
- Rasch analysis of repeated measures.Rasch Measurement Transactions. 2011; 25: 1317
- Functional gains and therapy intensity during subacute rehabilitation: a study of 20 facilities.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2002; 83: 1514-1523
- SCIRehab uses practice-based evidence methodology to associate patient and treatment characteristics with outcomes.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2013; 94: S67-74
- The PHQ-9: validity of a brief depression severity measure.J Gen Intern Med. 2001; 16: 606-613
- Improving measurement properties of the Patient Health Questionnaire-9 with rating scale analysis.Rehabil Psychol. 2009; 54: 198-203
Federal Register/Vol. 76. No. 186/Monday, September 26, 2011/Rules and Regulations:59256-59263. Washington (DC): Government Printing Office. Available at: http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2011-09-26/pdf/2011-24671.pdf. Accessed February 10, 2012.
- SCIRehab Project series: the social work/case management taxonomy.J Spinal Cord Med. 2009; 32: 336-342
- SCIRehab Project series: the therapeutic recreation taxonomy.J Spinal Cord Med. 2009; 32: 298-306
- SCIRehab Project series: the speech language pathology taxonomy.J Spinal Cord Med. 2009; 32: 307-318
- SCIRehab Project series: the supplemental nursing taxonomy.J Spinal Cord Med. 2009; 32: 329-335
- SCIRehab Project series: the physical therapy taxonomy.J Spinal Cord Med. 2009; 32: 270-282
- SCIRehab Project series: the occupational therapy taxonomy.J Spinal Cord Med. 2009; 32: 283-297
- SCIRehab Project series: the psychology taxonomy.J Spinal Cord Med. 2009; 32: 319-328
- The Pittsburgh Rehabilitation Parti-cipation Scale: reliability and validity of a clinician-rated measure of parti-cipation in acute rehabilitation.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2004; 85: 380-384
- National Spinal Cord Injury Statistical Center. Annual report for the Spinal Cord Injury Model Systems.National Spinal Cord Injury Statistical Center, Birmingham2009
- National Spinal Cord Injury Statistical Center. Annual report for the Spinal Cord Injury Model Systems.National Spinal Cord Injury Statistical Center, Birmingham2010
- Post-rehabilitative health care for individuals with SCI: extending health care into the community.Top Spinal Cord Inj Rehabil. 2011; 17: 46-58
Courage Center. Health care home outcomes. Available at: http://www.couragecenter.org/ContentPages/hchoutcomes.aspx. Accessed June 11, 2012.
- National Spinal Cord Injury Statistical Center. Annual report for the Spinal Cord Injury Model Systems.National Spinal Cord Injury Statistical Center, Birmingham2011
Supported in part by the National Institute on Disability and Rehabilitation Research, U.S. Department of Education (grant nos. H133A060103, H133N060005, H133N060028, H133N060009, H133N060014, H133N060027, H133N060009).
The opinions contained in this publication are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect those of the U.S. Department of Education.
No commercial party having a direct financial interest in the results of the research supporting this article has or will confer a benefit on the authors or on any organization with which the authors are associated.