Main Outcome Measure
List of abbreviations:ACO (accountable care organization), AM-PAC (Activity Measure for Post Acute Care), HH (home health care), IRF (inpatient rehabilitation facility), mCharlson (modified Charlson), MDC (minimal detectable change), mNIHSS (modified National Institutes of Health Stroke Scale), mRankin (modified Rankin), OP (outpatient), PPACA (Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act of 2010), SNF (skilled nursing facility)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Epidemiology and the global burden of stroke.World Neurosurg. 2011; 76: S85-S90
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Heart disease and stroke prevention. Addressing the nation's leading killers: at a glance 2011. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/chronicdisease/resources/publications/AAG/dhdsp.htm. Accessed November 29, 2012.
- Clinical practice. Rehabilitation after stroke.N Engl J Med. 2005; 352: 1677-1684
Gresham GE, Duncan PW, Stason WB, et al. Post-Stroke Rehabilitation. Clinical Practice Guideline, No. 16. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Public Health Service, Agency for Health Care Policy and Research; Rockville: 1995. AHCPR Publication No. 95-0662.
- Management of adult stroke rehabilitation care: a clinical practice guideline.Stroke. 2005; 36: e100-e143
- Are recommendations regarding inpatient therapy intensity following acute stroke really evidence-based?.Top Stroke Rehabil. 2012; 19: 96-103
- Organized inpatient (stroke unit) care for stroke.Stroke. 2008; 39: 2402-2403
- Care home versus hospital and own home environments for rehabilitation of older people.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2008; : CD003164
- Stroke Unit Trialists' Collaboration. Organised inpatient (stroke unit) care for stroke.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2007; : CD000197
- The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act: potential effects on physical medicine and rehabilitation.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2012; 93: 929-934
Gage B, Morley M, Smith L, et al. U.S. Dept of Health and Human Services Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS). Post acute care payment reform demonstration (PAC-PRD). 2012. Available at: http://www.cms.gov/Reports/Downloads/Flood_PACPRD_RTC_CMS_Report_Jan_2012.pdf. Accessed November 29, 2012.
- Cost-effectiveness in stroke rehab.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 1996; 77 (author reply 522-3): 521
- Outcomes and costs after hip fracture and stroke. A comparison of rehabilitation settings.JAMA. 1997; 277: 396-404
- Short-form activity measure for post-acute care.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2004; 85: 649-660
- Computer adaptive testing: a strategy for monitoring stroke rehabilitation across settings.Top Stroke Rehabil. 2004; 11: 33-39
- Measuring physical function in patients with complex medical and postsurgical conditions: a computer adaptive approach.Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 2005; 84: 741-748
- Activity outcome measurement for postacute care.Med Care. 2004; 42: I49-I61
- Replenishing a computerized adaptive test of patient-reported daily activity functioning.Qual Life Res. 2009; 18: 461-471
- Prospective evaluation of the AM-PAC-CAT in outpatient rehabilitation settings.Phys Ther. 2007; 87: 385-398
- Evaluation of patient and proxy responses on the activity measure for postacute care.Stroke. 2012; 43: 824-829
- Is patient-reported function reliable for monitoring postacute outcomes?.Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 2003; 82: 614-621
- Agreement in functional assessment: graphic approaches to displaying respondent effects.Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 2006; 85: 747-755
- Modified National Institutes of Health Stroke Scale for use in stroke clinical trials: prospective reliability and validity.Stroke. 2002; 33: 1261-1266
- Outcomes validity and reliability of the modified Rankin scale: implications for stroke clinical trials: a literature review and synthesis.Stroke. 2007; 38: 1091-1096
- A new method of classifying prognostic comorbidity in longitudinal studies: development and validation.J Chronic Dis. 1987; 40: 373-383
- Medicare spending and outcomes after postacute care for stroke and hip fracture.Med Care. 2010; 48: 776-784
- Poststroke rehabilitation: outcomes and reimbursement of inpatient rehabilitation facilities and subacute rehabilitation programs.Stroke. 2006; 37: 1477-1482
- Do rehabilitative nursing homes improve the outcomes of care?.J Am Geriatr Soc. 1996; 44: 545-554
- Characterizing rehabilitation services for patients with knee and hip replacement in skilled nursing facilities and inpatient rehabilitation facilities.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2009; 90: 1269-1283
- The state-of-the-science: challenges in designing postacute care payment policy.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2007; 88: 1522-1525
Supported by the National Institutes of Health Intramural Research Program and by the National Institute for Neurologic Diseases and Stroke (grant no. 5RC1NS068397).
No commercial party having a direct financial interest in the results of the research supporting this article has or will confer a benefit on the authors or on any organization with which the authors are associated (Chan, Sandel, Appelman, Brandt, Cheng, TeSelle, Delmonico, Terdiman, Rasch).
A commercial party having a direct financial interest in the results of the research supporting this article has conferred or will confer a financial benefit on the author or 1 or more of the authors. Jette holds stock in CRE Care, a small business he created to disseminate the AM-PAC assessment tool.