Main Outcome Measure
List of Abbreviations:ANCOVA (analysis of covariance), COG (center of gravity), LOS (limit of stability), OLS (1-leg standing), PD (Parkinson's disease), UPDRS (Unified Parkinson Disease Rating Scale)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Parkinson's disease and resistive exercise: rationale, review, and recommendations.Mov Disord. 2008; 23: 1-11
- Impaired leg extensor strength in individuals with Parkinson disease and relatedness to functional mobility.Parkinsonism Relat Disord. 2009; 15: 776-780
- Quantitative gait analysis in Parkinson's disease: comparison with a healthy control group.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2005; 86: 1007-1013
- Gait analysis in patients with Parkinson's disease off dopaminergic therapy.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2009; 90: 1880-1886
- Gait analysis, isokinetic muscle strength measurement in patients with Parkinson's disease.Scand J Rehabil Med. 1997; 29: 67-74
- Stretch-shortening contraction in Parkinson patients: evidence of normal muscle contraction execution with low efficiency.Scand J Rehabil Med. 1997; 29: 251-255
- Role of sensory input and muscle strength in maintenance of balance, gait and posture in Parkinson's disease.Am J Phys Med Rehabil Med. 2004; 83: 898-908
- Length dependence of active force production in skeletal muscle.J Appl Physiol. 1999; 86: 1445-1457
- Muscle torque preservation and physical activity in individuals with stroke.Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2009; 41: 1353-1360
- Deficits in eccentric versus concentric torque in children with spastic cerebral palsy.Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2001; 33: 117-122
- Eccentric peak torque of the plantar and dorsiflexors is maintained in older women.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 1997; 52: 125-131
- Patients have selective muscle weakness in shortened range.Brain. 2003; 126: 724-731
- Effects of velocity on maximal torque production in poststroke hemiparesis.Muscle Nerve. 2004; 30: 732-742
- Nonuniform weakness in the paretic knee and compensatory strength gains in the nonparetic knee occurs after stroke.Cerebrovasc Dis. 2008; 26: 584-591
- Accuracy of clinical diagnosis of idiopathic Parkinson's disease: a clinico-pathological study of 100 cases.J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 1992; 55: 181-184
- Metric attributes of the unified Parkinson's disease rating scale 3.0 battery: part I, feasibility, scaling assumptions, reliability, and precision.Mov Disord. 2006; 21: 1182-1188
- Unified Parkinson's disease rating scale.in: Fahn S. Marsden C.D. Calne D.B. Goldstein M. Recent developments in Parkinson's disease. Vol. 2. Macmillan Health Care Information, Florham Park1987: 153-163
- Muscle weakness in Parkinson's disease: isokinetic study of the lower limbs.Eur Neurol. 1998; 39: 218-222
- Phenotypic commonalities in familial and sporadic Parkinson disease.Arch Neurol. 2006; 63: 579-583
- Positive force feedback in human walking.J Physiol. 2007; 15: 99-105
- Multiple balance tests improve the assessment of postural stability in subjects with Parkinson's disease.J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2006; 77: 322-326
- Balance Master operator's manual.NeuroCom International Inc, Clackamas2002
- Reliability and validity of measures obtained from stroke patients using the Balance Master.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 1996; 77: 425-430
- Isokinetic dynamometry: implications for muscle testing and rehabilitation.Exerc Sport Sci Rev. 1986; 14: 45-80
- SPSS survival manual: a step by step guide to data analysis using SPSS for Windows (version 15).3rd ed. Allen & Unwin, Crows Nest2007
- Lower extremity isokinetic muscle strength in patients with Parkinson's disease.J Clin Neurosci. 2010; 17: 893-896
- Dynamic strength in Parkinson's disease.Eur Neurol. 1993; 33: 97-102
- A physiological mechanism of bradykinesia.Brain. 1980; 103: 301-314
- Neurophysiological correlate of clinical signs in Parkinson's disease.Clin Neurophysiol. 2002; 113: 792-805
- Activation of human muscles at short muscle lengths during maximal static efforts.J Physiol. 1988; 407: 599-613
- Motor units behaviour in Parkinson's disease.Phys Ther. 1994; 74: 61-70
- Parkinsonian bradykinesia is due to depression in the rate of rise of muscle activity.Ann Neurol. 1992; 31: 93-100
- Resistance training modes: specificity and effectiveness.Med Sci Sports Exerc. 1995; 27: 648-660
- High-intensity resistance training amplifies muscle hypertrophy and functional gains in persons with Parkinson's disease.Mov Disord. 2006; 21: 1444-1452
Supported by The Hong Kong Polytechnic University (grant no. G-SAA6 ), and the SK Yee Medical Foundation (grant no. ZH61 ).
No commercial party having a direct financial interest in the results of the research supporting this article has or will confer a benefit on the authors or on any organization with which the authors are associated.
Reprints are not available from the author.
In-press corrected proof published online on Aug 2, 2012, at www.archives-pmr.org.