Main Outcome Measures
List of Abbreviations:AUC (area under the receiver operating characteristic curve), FEES (fiberoptic endoscopic evaluation of swallowing), NPV (negative predictive value), RAR (rapidly adapting receptor), ROC (receiver operating characteristic), SCT (simplified cough test)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Dysphagia in acute stroke.BMJ. 1987; 295: 411-414
- Validation of the 3-oz water swallow test for aspiration following stroke.Arch Neurol. 1992; 49: 1259-1261
- Can bedside assessment reliably exclude aspiration following acute stroke?.Age Aging. 1988; 27: 99-106
- Validation of the 50ml drinking test for evaluation of post-stroke dysphagia.Disabil Rehabil. 1996; 18: 529-532
- Three tests for predicting aspiration without videofluorography.Dysphagia. 2003; 18: 126-134
- Early assessments of dysphagia and aspiration risk in acute stroke patients.Stroke. 2003; 34: 1252-1257
- Accuracy of bedside clinical methods compared with fiberoptic endoscopic examination of swallowing (FEES) in determining the risk of aspiration in acute stroke patients.Dysphagia. 2001; 16: 1-6
- Screening test for silent aspiration at the bedside.Dysphagia. 2008; 23: 364-370
- Study of usefulness of the cough test as to screening for silent aspiration.Jpn J Dysphagia Rehabil. 2008; 2: 109-117
- Lack of cough reflex in aspiration pneumonia.Lancet. 1990; 335: 1228-1229
- Detection of aspiration and swallowing disorder in older stroke patients: simple swallowing provocation test versus water swallowing test.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2000; 81: 1517-1519
- Evaluating swallowing dysfunction using a 100-ml water swallowing test.Dysphagia. 2004; 19: 43-47
- Oxygen desaturation on swallowing as a potential marker of aspiration in acute stroke.Age Aging. 1995; 24: 267-270
- Does pulse oximetry reliably detect aspiration in dysphagic stroke patients?.Stroke. 1997; 28: 1773-1775
- Assessment of dysphagia with the use of pulse oximetry.Dysphagia. 1999; 14: 152-156
- A preliminary comparison of videofluoroscopy of swallow and pulse oximetry in the identification of aspiration in dysphagic patients.Dysphagia. 1998; 13: 82-86
- Pulse oximetry does not reliably detect aspiration on videofluoroscopic swallowing study.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2005; 86: 730-734
- Use of arterial oxygen saturation, heart rate, and blood pressure as indirect objective physiologic markers to predict aspiration.Dysphagia. 2000; 15: 201-205
- Using cervical auscultation in the clinical dysphagia examination in long-term care.Dysphagia. 1995; 10: 27-31
- Bronchial auscultation: an effective adjunct to speech and language therapy bedside assessment when detecting dysphagia and aspiration?.Dysphagia. 2004; 19: 211-218
- Evaluation and treatment of swallowing disorders.2nd ed. Pro-Ed, Austin1998
- A review of the technical aspects of drug nebulization.Pharm World Sci. 2000; 22: 75-81
- Ultrasonic nebulizer and jet nebulizer Q&A.Jpn J Nurs. 2004; 24: 78-84
- Distribution of aerosol-particle in human respiratory tract.J Med Soc Toho Univ. 1987; 34: 207-214
- An investigation of screening test of silent aspiration by cough test: the decision of the concentration of citric acid.Jpn J Dysphagia Rehabil. 2000; 4: 163
- Neurophysiology of the cough reflex.Eur Respir J. 1995; 8: 1193-1202
- Afferent neural pathways in cough and reflex bronchoconstriction.J Appl Physiol. 1988; 65: 1007-1023
- Functional morphology and physiology of pulmonary rapidly adapting receptors.Anat Rec Part A. 2003; 270A: 2-10
- Neuroregulation of cough: implication for drug therapy.Curr Opin Pharmacol. 2002; 2: 256-263
- Capsaicin cough sensitivity is decreased in smokers.Respir Med. 2001; 95: 19-21
Supported by a Grant-in-Aid for Scientific Research (Young Scientists (B) Grant No. 22792126).
No commercial party having a direct financial interest in the results of the research supporting this article has or will confer a benefit on the authors or on any organization with which the authors are associated.
In-press corrected proof published online on Jul 6, 2012, at www.archives-pmr.org.