Main Outcome Measures
List of Abbreviations:AAC (active-assisted cycling), BWSTT (body weight–supported treadmill training), CI (confidence interval), PD (Parkinson's disease), RPE (rating of perceived exertion), rpm (revolutions per minute), UPDRS (Unified Parkinson's Disease Rating Scale), V̇o2max (maximum oxygen consumption)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Physical therapy in Parkinson's disease: evolution and future challenges.Mov Disord. 2009; 24: 1-14
- Exercise induces behavioral recovery and attenuates neurochemical deficits in rodent models of Parkinson's disease.Neuroscience. 2003; 119: 899-911
- Effects of treadmill exercise on dopaminergic transmission in the 1-methyl-4-phenyl-1,2,3,6-tetrahydropyridine-lesioned mouse model of basal ganglia injury.J Neurosci. 2007; 27: 5291-5300
- Exercise elevates dopamine D2 receptor in a mouse model of Parkinson's disease: in vivo imaging with [(1)F]fallypride.Mov Disord. 2011; 25: 2777-2784
- Treadmill training with body weight support: its effect on Parkinson's disease.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2000; 81: 849-852
- Long-term effect of body weight–supported treadmill training in Parkinson's disease: a randomized controlled trial.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2002; 83: 1370-1373
- Six weeks of intensive treadmill training improves gait and quality of life in patients with Parkinson's disease: a pilot study.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2007; 88: 1154-1158
- Forced, not voluntary, exercise improves motor function in Parkinson's disease patients.Neurorehabil Neural Repair. 2009; 23: 600-608
- Parkinsonisam: onset, progression and mortality.Neurology. 1967; 17: 427-442
- ACSM's guidelines for exercise testing and prescription.in: 7th ed. Lippincott Williams and Wilkins, Philadelphia2006: 70-74
- Cross-validation of the YMCA submaximal cycle ergometer test to predict Vo2max.Res Q Exerc Sport. 2004; 75: 337-342
- Acute effects of passive leg cycling on upper extremity tremor and bradykinesia in Parkinson's disease.Phys Sports Med. 2011; 39: 83-93
- Clinically deployable Kinesia technology for automated tremor assessment.Mov Disord. 2009; 24: 723-730
- Differential response of speed, amplitude, and rhythm to dopaminergic medications in Parkinson's disease.Mov Disord. 2011; 26: 2504-2508
- The modified bradykinesia rating scale for Parkinson's disease: reliability and comparison with kinematic measures.Mov Disord. 2011; 26: 1859-1863
- ACSM's guidelines for exercise testing and prescription.in: 8th ed. American College of Sports Medicine, Baltimore2009: 85-89
- The effect of exercise training in improving motor performance and corticomotor excitability in people with early Parkinson's disease.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2008; 89: 1221-1229
- Speed training with body weight unloading improves walking energy cost and maximal speed in 75- to 85-year-old healthy women.J Appl Physiol. 2007; 103: 1598-1603
- Physiological costs and temporo-spatial parameters of walking on a treadmill vary with body weight unloading and speed in both healthy young and older women.Eur J Appl Physiol. 2007; 100: 293-299
- It is not about the bike, it is about the pedaling: forced exercise and Parkinson's disease.Exerc Sport Sci Rev. 2011; 39: 177-186
- Enhancing neuroplasticity in the basal ganglia: the role of exercise in Parkinson's disease.Mov Disord. 2010; 25: S141-S145
- Exercise-induced behavioral recovery and neuroplasticity in the 1-methyl-4-phenyl-1,2,3,6-tetrahydropyridine-lesioned mouse basal ganglia.J Neurosci Res. 2004; 77: 378-390
- American College of Sports Medicine position stand.Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2011; 43: 1334-1359
- Physical activity and feelings of energy and fatigue: epidemiological evidence.Sports Med. 2006; 36: 767-780
- Exercise improves efficacy of levodopa in patients with Parkinson's disease.Mov Disord. 2007; 22: 427-430
- Triggering of acute myocardial infarction by heavy physical exertion: protection against triggering by regular exertion.N Engl J Med. 1993; 329: 1677-1683
- The relationship between the kinematics of passive movement, the stretch of extensor muscles of the leg and the change induced in the gain of the soleus H reflex in humans.Brain Res. 1995; 672: 89-96
- Cerebral activation during bicycle movements in man.Exp Brain Res. 2000; 135: 66-72
- Amplitude of muscle stretch modulates corticomotor gain during passive movement.Brain Res. 2005; 1031: 109-117
- Cortical drives to human muscle: the Piper and related rhythms.Prog Neurobiol. 2000; 60: 97-108
- Defective cortical drive to muscle in Parkinson's disease and its improvement with levodopa.Brain. 2002; 125: 491-500
Supported by Kent State University Research Council.
No commercial party having a direct financial interest in the results of the research supporting this article has or will confer a benefit on the authors or on any organization with which the authors are associated.
In-press corrected proof published online on Jul 6, 2012, at www.archives-pmr.org.