Main Outcome Measures
List of Abbreviations:EE (energy expenditure), MAE (mean absolute error), MSE (mean signed error), MWU (manual wheelchair user), PA (physical activity), SCI (spinal cord injury)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- The physiology of exercise.in: Apple D.F. Physical fitness: a guide for individuals with spinal cord injury. Department of Veterans Affairs, Washington (DC)1996: 3-23
- Descriptive epidemiology of physical activity in university graduates with locomotor disabilities.Int J Rehabil Res. 1997; 20: 275-287
- Health implications of physical activity in individuals with spinal cord injury: a literature review.J Health Hum Serv Adm. 2008; 30: 468-502
- Physical activity levels are low in free-living adults with chronic paraplegia.Obes Res. 2003; 11: 563-570
- Energy cost of physical activities in persons with spinal cord injury.Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2010; 42: 691-700
- Evaluation of activity monitors in manual wheelchair users with paraplegia.J Spinal Cord Med. 2011; 34: 110-117
- Exercise physiology: energy, nutrition, and human performance.5th ed. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia2001
- Evaluation of a portable device to measure daily energy expenditure in free-living adults.Am J Clin Nutr. 2007; 85: 742-749
- Validity of physical activity monitors in adults participating in free living activities.Br J Sports Med. 2010; 44: 657-664
- Energy expenditures during wheelchair propulsion derived from a body-worn sensor versus indirect calorimetry.Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2010; 42: 335
- Actigraphy as a measure of physical activity for wheelchair users with spinal cord injury.Nurs Res. 2004; 53: 136-143
- Assessing physical activity during wheelchair pushing: validity of a portable accelerometer.Adap Phys Activ Q. 1999; 16: 290-299
- Use of doubly labeled water and indirect calorimetry to assess physical activity.in: Welk G.J. Physical activity assessments for health-related research. Human Kinetics, Champaign2002: 197-209
- Body size and metabolic rate.Physiol Rev. 1947; 27: 511-541
- Data mining: practical machine learning tools and techniques.2nd ed. Morgan Kaufmann, San Francisco2005
- Statistical methods for assessing agreement between two methods of clinical measurement.Lancet. 1986; 1: 307-310
- Statistical evaluation of agreement between two methods for measuring the same quantity.Comput Biol Med. 1989; 19: 61-70
- Accuracy of armband monitors for measuring daily energy expenditure in healthy adults.Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2010; 42: 2134-2140
Supported by the Rehabilitation Engineering Research Center on Interactive Exercise Technologies and Exercise Physiology for Persons with Disabilities (grant no. H133E070029), funded by the National Institute on Disability and Rehabilitation Research; and by the VA Center of Excellence for Wheelchairs and Associated Rehabilitation Engineering (grant no. B3142C). The contents do not represent the views of the Department of Veterans Affairs or the United States Government.
No commercial party having a direct financial interest in the results of the research supporting this article has or will confer a benefit on the authors or on any organization with which the authors are associated. Farringdon is employed by BodyMedia Inc, manufacturer of the SenseWear.
Reprints are not available from the author.
In-press corrected proof published online on Jul 6, 2012, at www.archives-pmr.org.