Main Outcome Measures
List of Abbreviations:UES (upper esophageal sphincter), VFSS (videofluorographic swallowing study)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Upper esophageal sphincter function during deglutition.Gastroenterology. 1988; 95: 52-62
- Singular Publishing, San Diego1999: 113-151 Manual of dysphagia assessment in adult.
- Opening mechanism of the human upper esophageal sphincter.Am J Physiol. 1989; 257: G748-G759
- Paralysis of deglutition, a post-poliomyelitis complication treated by section of the cricopharyngeus muscle.Ann Surg. 1951; 33: 572-573
- Cricopharyngeal myotomy may be effective treatment for selected patients with neurogenic oropharyngeal dysphagia.Dysphagia. 1995; 10: 255-258
- Improvement of dysphagia following cricopharyngeal myotomy in a group of elderly patients.Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol. 1995; 104: 603-609
- Treatment of dysfunction of the cricopharyngeal muscle with botulinum A toxin: introduction of a new, noninvasive method.Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol. 1994; 103: 31-35
- Botulinum toxin treatment for cricopharyngeal dysfunction.Dysphagia. 2001; 16: 161-167
- Botulinum toxin in the treatment of cricopharyngeal dysphagia.Dysphagia. 2001; 16: 171-175
- Food intake by maneuver: an extreme compensation for impaired swallowing.Dysphagia. 1992; 7: 155-159
- Relearning to swallow after stroke—application of maneuvers and indirect biofeedback: a case study.Neurology. 1990; 40: 1136-1138
- Volitional augmentation of upper esophageal sphincter opening during swallowing.Am J Physiol. 1991; 260: G450-G456
- Augmentation of deglutitive upper esophageal sphincter opening in the elderly by exercise.Am J Physiol. 1997; 272: G1518-G1522
- Spectral analysis of surface electromyography (EMG) of upper esophageal sphincter-opening muscles during head lift exercise.J Rehabil Res Dev. 2000; 37: 335-340
- Fatigue analysis before and after shaker exercise: physiologic tool for exercise design.Dysphagia. 2008; 23: 385-391
- Attaining and maintaining isometric and isokinetic goals of the shaker exercise.Dysphagia. 2005; 20: 133-138
- Comparison of upper esophageal sphincter opening in healthy asymptomatic young and elderly volunteers.Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol. 1999; 108: 982-989
- Videofluoroscopic kinesiologic analysis of swallowing: defining a standard plane.J Med Dent Sci. 2006; 53: 7-15
- Upper esophageal sphincter opening and modulation during swallowing.Gastroenterology. 1989; 97: 1469-1478
- Videofluoroscopic upper esophageal sphincter function in elderly dysphagic patients.Laryngoscope. 2002; 112: 332-337
- Timing of videofluoroscopic, manometric events, and bolus transit during the oral and pharyngeal phases of swallowing.Dysphagia. 1989; 4: 8-15
- Inter- and intra-rater reliability in videofluoroscopic swallowing study.Jpn J Dysphagia Rehabil. 2005; 9: 15-23
- Hyoid motion during swallowing: affecting forward and upward displacement.Dysphagia. 2002; 17: 262-272
- The stomatognathic system: evaluation, diagnosis and treatment of occlusal problems.2nd ed. Mosby, St. Louis1989
- Temporomandibular joint disorders: geriatric dentistry.Blackwell Scientific Publications, Oxford1973
- Strengthening muscle.Exerc Sport Sci Rev. 1982; 9: 1-73
Supported by a Grant-in-Aid for Scientific Research (Young Scientists [B] no. 22792126) and an 8020 research grant from 8020 promotion foundation.
No commercial party having a direct financial interest in the results of the research supporting this article has or will confer a benefit on the authors or on any organization with which the authors are associated.
In-press corrected proof published online on Jun 19, 2012, at www.archives-pmr.org.