Main Outcome Measures
List of Abbreviations:ADLs (activities of daily living), AP (anterior-posterior), DOF (degree of freedom), ML (medial-lateral), ROM (range of motion), V (vertical)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Estimating the prevalence of limb loss in the United States: 2005 to 2050.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2008; 89: 422-429
- Upper limb prosthesis use and abandonment: a survey of the last 25 years.Prosthet Orthot Int. 2007; 31: 236-257
- Upper-limb prosthetics: critical factors in device abandonment.Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 2007; 86: 977-987
- Unilateral upper-limb loss: satisfaction and prosthetic-device use in veterans and service members from Vietnam and OIF/OEF conflicts.J Rehabil Res Dev. 2010; 47: 299-316
- Performance of above elbow body-powered prostheses in visually guided unconstrained motion tasks.IEEE Trans Biomed Eng. 1995; 42: 621-631
- Movement characteristics of upper extremity prostheses during basic goal-directed tasks.Clin Biomech (Bristol, Avon). 2010; 25: 523-529
- Quantitative assessment of four men using above-elbow prosthetic control.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 1993; 74: 720-729
- Kinematic comparison of myoelectric and body powered prostheses while performing common activities.Prosthet Orthot Int. 2009; 33: 179-186
- Compensatory movements of transradial prosthesis users during common tasks.Clin Biomech (Bristol, Avon). 2008; 23: 1128-1135
- Optimality principles in sensorimotor control.Nat Neurosci. 2004; 7: 907-915
- The coordination of arm movements: an experimentally confirmed mathematical model.J Neurosci. 1985; 5: 1688-1703
- Signal-dependent noise determines motor planning.Nature. 1998; 394: 780-784
- Evidence for composite cost functions in arm movement planning: an inverse optimal control approach.PLoS Comput Biol. 2011; 7: e1002183
- A computational model for redundant human three-dimensional pointing movements: integration of independent spatial and temporal motor plans simplifies movement dynamics.J Neurosci. 2007; 27: 13045-13064
- Evaluation of trajectory planning models for arm-reaching movements based on energy cost.Neural Comput. 2009; 21: 2634-2647
- Effect of training on upper extremity prosthetic performance and motor learning: a single case study.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2008; 89: 1199-1204
- Compensation for distal impairments of grasping in adults with hemiparesis.Exp Brain Res. 2004; 157: 162-173
- Compensatory strategies for reaching in stroke.Brain. 2000; 123: 940-953
- Use of the trunk for reaching targets placed within and beyond the reach in adult hemiparesis.Exp Brain Res. 2002; 143: 171-180
- Improvement of arm movement patterns and endpoint control depends on type of feedback during practice in stroke survivors.Neurorehabil Neural Repair. 2007; 21: 398-411
- Short-term effects of practice with trunk restraint on reaching movements in patients with chronic stroke: a controlled trial.Stroke. 2004; 35: 1914-1919
- Effects of trunk restraint combined with intensive task practice on poststroke upper extremity reach and function: a pilot study.Neurorehabil Neural Repair. 2009; 23: 78-91
- Feedforward control strategies of subjects with transradial amputation in planar reaching.J Rehabil Res Dev. 2010; 47: 201-211
- Transradial upper extremity amputees are capable of adapting to a novel dynamic environment.Exp Brain Res. 2008; 188: 589-601
- The 3-D motion of the centre of gravity of the human body during level walking: I.Clin Biomech. 1998; 13: 77-82
- The 3-D motion of the centre of gravity of the human body during level walking: II.Clin Biomech. 1998; 13: 83-90
- The major determinants in normal and pathological gait.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1953; 35: 543-558
- Mechanics of walking.J Appl Physiol. 1966; 21: 271-278
- Training with an upper-limb prosthetic simulator to enhance transfer of skill across limbs.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2003; 84: 437-443
- The role of order of practice in learning to handle an upper-limb prosthesis.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2008; 89: 1759-1764
- Learning to control opening and closing a myoelectric hand.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2010; 91: 1442-1446
Supported by the U.S. Army Medical Research and Materiel Command (grant no. W81XWH-05-1-0160).
No commercial party having a direct financial interest in the results of the research supporting this article has or will confer a benefit on the authors or on any organization with which the authors are associated.
In-press corrected proof published online on May 16, 2012, at www.archives-pmr.org.