List of Abbreviations:AFO (ankle-foot orthosis), RCT (randomized controlled trial)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Evidence-based rehabilitation: a guide to practice.2nd ed. Slack, Thorofare2008
- Evidence-based medicine, heterogeneity of treatment effects, and the trouble with averages.Milbank Q. 2004; 82: 661-687
- Practice-based evidence research in rehabilitation: an alternative to randomized controlled trials and traditional observational studies.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2012; 93: S127-S137
- Implementing evidence in clinical practice: the ‘therapies’ dilemma.Physiotherapy. 2004; 90: 189-194
- Evaluating practice: guidelines for the accountable professional.6th ed. Allyn and Bacon, Boston2009
- Users' Guides to the Medical Literature: XXV.JAMA. 2000; 284: 1290-1296
- Single-subject research in rehabilitation: a review of studies using AB, withdrawal, multiple baseline, and alternating treatments designs.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 1997; 78: 1145-1153
- Single subject designs: current methodologies and future directions.OTJR. 2010; 30: 4-10
- The n-of-1 clinical trial: the ultimate strategy for individualizing medicine?.Per Med. 2011; 8: 161-173
- The use of single-subject research to identify evidence-based practice in special education.Except Child. 2005; 71: 165-179
- Recent innovations in small-N designs for rehabilitation research: an extension of Cowan, Hennessey, Vierstra, and Rumrill.J Vocat Rehabil. 2005; 23: 197-205
- Evaluating clinical change: strategies for occupational and physical therapists.Williams & Wilkins, Baltimore1986
- Single-subject experimental paradigm as a clinical decision tool.Phys Ther. 1989; 69: 601-609
- Effects of lower limb intensive mass practice in poststroke patients: single-subject experimental design with long-term follow-up.Clin Rehabil. 2006; 20: 568-576
- Case studies, single-subject research, and N of 1 randomized trials: comparisons and contrasts.Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 1999; 78: 170-176
- Small-N designs in rehabilitation research.J Vocat Rehabil. 2004; 20: 203-211
- Single subject research designs for disability research.Disabil Rehabil. 2001; 23: 1-8
- Training of somatosensory discrimination after stroke: facilitation of stimulus generalization.Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 2005; 84: 428-442
- Effect of a tone-inhibiting dynamic ankle-foot orthosis on stride characteristics of an adult with hemiparesis.Phys Ther. 1990; 70: 423-430
- Interrater reliability of therapists' judgements of graphed data.Phys Ther. 1991; 71: 107-115
- Small clinical trials: issues and challenges.Institute of Medicine, National Academy Pr, Washington (DC)2001
- A small sample randomized clinical trial methodology using N-of-1 designs and mixed model analysis.Am J Drug Alcohol Abuse. 2009; 35: 260-266
- Hierarchical linear models for the quantitative integration of effect sizes in single-case research.Behav Res Methods Instrum Comput. 2003; 35: 1-10
- Randomized single-subject experimental designs.Behav Res Ther. 1996; 34: 567-574
- Design and analysis of time-series experiments.Colorado Associated Univ Pr, Boulder1975
- A comparison of alternative approaches to the analysis of interrupted time-series.Multivariate Behav Res. 1985; 20: 27-44
- Single case experimental design and empirical clinical practice.J Consult Clin Psych. 1981; 49: 193-211
- Single-case research designs in clinical child-psychiatry.J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 1983; 22: 423-432
- Analysis of data in idiographic research.Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 1992; 71: 202-208
- Comparing N = 1 effect size indices in presence of autocorrelation.Behav Modif. 2008; 32: 860-875
- Comparing “visual” effect size indices for single-case designs.Methodology: Eur J Res Method Behav Soc Sci. 2010; 6: 49-58
- Evidence based medicine: what it is and what it isn't.BMJ. 1996; 312: 71-72
- Single case experimental designs: strategies for studying behavior change.Pergamon Pr, New York1984
- N-of-1 trials in the medical literature: a systematic review.Med Care. 2011; 49: 761-768
- Rehabilitation research in the 21st century: concerns and potential solutions.Rehabil Educ. 2006; 20: 7-19
- Practical meta-analysis.Sage, Thousand Oaks2001
- Toward improved evidence standards and methods for rehabilitation: recommendations and challenges.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2012; 93: S185-S199
- Advancing the evidence base of rehabilitation treatments: a developmental approach.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2012; 93: S101-S110
Supported by the National Institutes of Health (grant no. R24-HD065702).
No commercial party having a direct financial interest in the results of the research supporting this article has or will confer a benefit on the authors or on any organization with which the authors are associated.
Reprints are not available from the author.
In-press corrected proof published online on Jun 9, 2012, at www.archives-pmr.org.
ScienceDirectAccess this article on ScienceDirect
- CorrectionArchives of Physical Medicine and RehabilitationVol. 93Issue 12
- PreviewThe article, Graham JE, Karmarkar AM, Ottenbacher KJ. Small sample research designs for evidence-based rehabilitation: issues and methods. Arch Phys Med Rehabil 2012;93:S111-6, was mistakenly published online as an uncorrected proof in May 2012. The article was embargoed to publish as a special communication with all other content for the August 2012 Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation supplemental issue (August 2012; Vol 93, No. 8, Suppl 2). In an attempt to remove the article from online publication and remedy the publishing error, the publisher erroneously retracted the article.