List of Abbreviations:AAN (American Academy of Neurology), AMSTAR (Assessment of Multiple Systematic Reviews), GCS (Glasgow Coma Scale), GRADE (Grading of Recommendations Assessment, Development and Evaluation), EBP (evidence-based practice), PEDro (Physiotherapy Evidence Database), RCT (randomized controlled trial), SCI (spinal cord injury), SR (systematic review), TBI (traumatic brain injury)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Evidence-based practice for rehabilitation professionals: concepts and controversies.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2012; 93: S164-S176
- The PRISMA statement for reporting systematic reviews and meta-analyses of studies that evaluate health care interventions: explanation and elaboration.J Clin Epidemiol. 2009; 62: e1-e34
- The challenge of evidence in disability and rehabilitation research and practice: a position paper.SEDL, Austin2009
- Evidence-based public health: moving beyond randomized trials.Am J Public Health. 2004; 94: 400-405
- Behavioral and social interventions for individuals with traumatic brain injury: a summary of the research with clinical implications.Semin Speech Lang. 2005; 26: 256-267
- Intervention for executive functions after traumatic brain injury: a systematic review, meta-analysis and clinical recommendations.Neuropsychol Rehabil. 2008; 18: 257-299
- From systematic reviews to clinical recommendations for evidence-based health care: validation of Revised Assessment of Multiple Systematic Reviews (R-AMSTAR) for grading of clinical relevance.Open Dent J. 2010; 4: 84-91
- SUPPORT Tools for evidence-informed health Policymaking (STP) 9: assessing the applicability of the findings of a systematic review.Health Res Policy Syst. 2009; 7
- Epidemiology and reporting characteristics of systematic reviews.PLoS Med. 2007; 4: e78
- Critical appraisal of systematic reviews.Int J Nurs Pract. 2010; 16: 414-418
- External validation of a measurement tool to assess systematic reviews (AMSTAR).PloS One. 2007; 2: e1350
- Development of AMSTAR: a measurement tool to assess the methodological quality of systematic reviews.BMC Med Res Methodol. 2007; 7: 10
- Assessment and prognosis of coma after head injury.Acta Neurochir (Wien). 1976; 34: 45-55
- Errors in search strategies were identified by type and frequency.J Clin Epidemiol. 2006; 59: 1057-1063
- Applying evidence standards to rehabilitation research.Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 2006; 85: 292-309
- Improving the use of research evidence in guideline development: 9.Health Res Policy Syst. 2006; 4: 21
- Evidence for physiotherapy practice: a survey of the Physiotherapy Evidence Database (PEDro).Aust J Physiother. 2002; 48: 43-49
- The feasibility of creating a checklist for the assessment of the methodological quality both of randomised and non-randomised studies of health care interventions.J Epidemiol Community Health. 1998; 52: 377-384
- Evidence-based medicine: how to practice and teach EBM.Churchill Livingstone, Edinburgh2000
- Clinical practice guidelines process manual.American Academy of Neurology, St. Paul, MN2004
- Neuropsychological recovery in patients with moderate to severe head injury: 2-year follow-up.J Clin Exp Neuropsychol. 1990; 12: 507-519
- Toward improved evidence standards and methods for rehabilitation: recommendations and challenges.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2012; 93: S185-S199
- An evidence-based practice guideline for the peer review of electronic search strategies.J Clin Epidemiol. 2009; 62: 944-952
- United States. Agency for Healthcare R, Quality, University of Alberta Evidence-based Practice C. Developing and testing a tool for the classification of study designs in systematic reviews of interventions and exposures.Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Rockville2010
- Choice of data extraction tools for systematic reviews depends on resources and review complexity.J Clin Epidemiol. 2009; 62: 506-510
Plain Writing Act (Public Law 111-274—Oct. 13, 2010). 5 USC 301 (2010).
- Revisiting plain language.Technical Communication. 2000; 47: 205-211
- Plain language: principles and practice.Wayne State Univ Pr, Detroit1991
- What is information design?.Technical Communication. 2000; 47: 163-166
Reprints are not available from the author.
Supported by the National Institute for Disability and Rehabilitation Research through the University of Washington Model Systems Knowledge Translation Center (grant no. H133A060070).
No commercial party having a direct financial interest in the results of the research supporting this article has or will confer a benefit on the authors or on any organization with which the authors are associated.