Main Outcome Measures
List of Abbreviations:EMG (electromyogram), LCD (laryngeal closure duration), mMEP (mylohyoid motor-evoked potential), OTT (oral transit time), PTT (pharyngeal transit time), rTMS (repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation), SRT (swallow response time)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Swallowing disorders in persons with cerebrovascular accident.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 1985; 66: 372-375
- Swallowing function after stroke: prognosis and prognostic factors at 6 months.Stroke. 1999; 30: 744-748
- Pneumonia in stroke patients with oropharyngeal dysphagia: a six-month follow-up study.Neurol Sci. 2008; 29: 139-145
- Aspiration in acute stroke: a clinical study with videofluoroscopy.Q J Med. 1993; 86: 825-829
- Deglutitive laryngeal closure in stroke patients.J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2007; 78: 141-146
- Identification of the cerebral loci processing human swallowing with H2(15)O PET activation.J Neurophysiol. 1999; 81: 1917-1926
- Altered excitability of the motor cortex after minor head injury revealed by transcranial magnetic stimulation.Acta Neurochir (Wien). 1998; 140: 467-472
- Modulation of corticospinal excitability by repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation.Clin Neurophysiol. 2000; 111: 800-805
- Interindividual variability of the modulatory effects of repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation on cortical excitability.Exp Brain Res. 2000; 133: 425-430
- Induction of long-term plasticity in human swallowing motor cortex following repetitive cortical stimulation.Clin Neurophysiol. 2004; 115: 1044-1051
- Unilateral suppression of pharyngeal motor cortex to repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation reveals functional asymmetry in the hemispheric projections to human swallowing.J Physiol. 2007; 585: 525-538
- Magnetic brain stimulation: safety studies.Electroencephalogr Clin Neurophysiol. 1995; 97: 36-42
- Mylohyoid motor-evoked potentials relate to swallowing function after chronic stroke dysphagia.Neurogastroenterol Motil. 2007; 19: 453-458
- Poststroke dysphagia rehabilitation by repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation: a noncontrolled pilot study.Dysphagia. 2009; 24: 204-210
- Normal swallowing physiology as viewed by videofluoroscopy and videoendoscopy.Folia Phoniatr Logop. 1998; 50: 311-319
- Cortical activation during human volitional swallowing: an event-related fMRI study.Am J Physiol. 1999; 277: G219-G225
- Mapping metabolic brain activation during human volitional swallowing; a positron emission tomography study using [18F]fluorodeoxyglucose.J Cereb Blood Flow Metab. 2005; 25: 520-526
- Dysphagia in stroke patients.Postgrad Med J. 2006; 82: 383-391
- Awareness of dysphagia by patients following stroke predicts swallowing performance.Dysphagia. 2004; 19: 28-35
- Impact of swallowing and ventilation on oropharyngeal cortical representation.Respir Physiol Neurobiol. 2009; 167: 208-213
Supported by a local grant from Aides à Domicile aux Insuffisants Respiratoires (ADIR), Isneauville, France.
No commercial party having a direct financial interest in the results of the research supporting this article has or will confer a benefit on the authors or on any organization with which the authors are associated.
In-press corrected proof published online on Feb 14, 2012, at www.archives-pmr.org.