Main Outcome Measure
List of Abbreviations:ASD (autism spectrum disorder), ICF (International Classification of Functioning Disability and Health), ICF-CY (International Classification of Functioning Disability and Health for Children and Youth)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Measuring participation of children with disabilities: issues and challenges.Disabil Rehabil. 2008; 30: 639-648
- Participation in the occupations of everyday life.Am J Occup Ther. 2002; 56: 640-649
- International Classification of Functioning, Disability and Health.World Health Organization, Geneva2001
- Conceptual model of the factors affecting recreation and leisure participation of children with disabilities.Phys Occup Ther Pediatr. 2003; 23: 63-90
- Social participation of children and youth with acquired brain injuries discharged from inpatient rehabilitation: a follow-up study.Brain Inj. 2004; 18: 65-82
- Impact of impairment on activity patterns of children.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 1987; 68: 828-832
- Students with disabilities: a national survey of participation in school activities.Disabil Rehabil. 2001; 23: 49-63
- Extracurricular activities and adolescent development.J Soc Issues. 2003; 59: 865-889
- Promoting interpersonal competence and educational success through extracurricular activity participation.J Educ Psychol. 2003; 95: 409-418
- Psychosocial resilience and protective mechanisms.Am J Orthopsychiatry. 1987; 57: 316-331
- Structured after-school activities as a moderator of depressed mood for adolescents with detached relations to their parents.J Commun Psychol. 2002; 30: 69-86
- Do extracurricular activities protect against early school dropout?.Dev Psychol. 1997; 33: 241-253
- Environmental barriers in mainstream schools.Child Care Health Dev. 2002; 28: 57-63
- Perceived environmental barriers to recreational, community, and school participation for children and youth with physical disabilities.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2007; 88: 1636-1642
- Identification and description of environmental factors that influence participation of children with cerebral palsy.Dev Med Child Neurol. 2004; 46: 299-304
- Environmental factors affecting the occupations of children with physical disabilities.J Occup Sci. 1999; 6: 102-110
- Discussion groups with parents of children with cerebral palsy in Europe designed to assist development of a relevant measure of environment.Child Care Health Dev. 2006; 32: 185-192
- Participation of children with cerebral palsy is influenced by where they live.Dev Med Child Neurol. 2004; 46: 292-298
- International Classification of Functioning, Disability and Health: Version for Children and Youth.World Health Organization, Geneva2007
- Measuring participation of school-aged children with traumatic brain injuries: considerations and approaches.J Head Trauma Rehabil. 2008; 23: 220-229
- Participation of disabled children: how should it be characterised and measured?.Disabil Rehabil. 2006; 28: 1157-1164
- Measuring participation in childhood disability: how does the capability approach improve our understanding?.Dev Med Child Neurol. 2009; 51: 92-94
- Difficult to measure constructs: conceptual and methodological issues concerning participation and environmental factors.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2009; 90: S22-S35
- Child or family assessed measures of activity performance and participation for children with cerebral palsy: a structured review.Child Care Health Dev. 2005; 31: 397-407
- Clinimetric properties of participation measures for 5-to13-year old children with cerebral palsy: a systematic review.Dev Med Child Neurol. 2007; 49: 232-240
Khetani MA, Bedell GM, Coster W, Cousins M, Law M. Measures of physical, social and attitudinal environment. In: Majnemer A, editor. Measures for children with developmental disabilities: framed by the ICF-CY. London: Mac Keith Pr. In press.
Bedell GM, Khetani MA, Coster W, Law M, Cousins M. Measures of community, social and civic life. In: Majnemer A, editor. Measures for children with developmental disabilities: framed by the ICF-CY. London: Mac Keith Pr. In press.
- Measuring children's participation in recreation and leisure activities: construct validation of the CAPE and PAC.Child Care Health Dev. 2006; 33: 28-39
- Measuring participation in children with disabilities using the assessment of life habits.Dev Med Child Neurol. 2007; 49: 666-671
- The Lifestyle Assessment Questionnaire: an instrument to measure the impact of disability on the lives of children with cerebral palsy and their families.Child Care Health Dev. 1998; 24: 473-486
- Study protocol: SPARCLE—a multi-centre European study of the relationship of environment to participation and quality of life in children with cerebral palsy.BMC Public Health. 2006; 6: 1-10
- Frequency of participation of 8-12-year-old children with cerebral palsy: a multi-centre cross-sectional European study.Eur J Paediatr Neurol. 2008; 13: 165-177
- Qualitative research and evaluation methods.3rd ed. Sage Publications, Thousand Oaks2002
- Basics of qualitative research: techniques and procedures for developing grounded theory.2nd ed. Sage Publications, Los Angeles1998
- Qualitative research for education: an introduction to theories and methods.4th ed. Allyn & Bacon, Needham Heights2003
- NVivo qualitative data analysis software (version 7.0).QSR International Pty Ltd, Doncaster: Victoria, Australia2006
- Naturalistic inquiry.Sage Publications, Beverly Hills1985
- Emerging criteria for quality in qualitative and interpretive research.in: Denzin N. Lincoln Y. The qualitative inquiry reader. Sage Publications, Thousand Oaks2002: 327-345
- Exploring parents' use of strategies to promote social participation of school-age children with acquired brain injuries.Am J Occup Ther. 2005; 59: 273-284
- Exploring postinjury living environments for children and youth with acquired brain injury.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2008; 89: 1803-1810
- Family responses to young children with developmental delays: accommodation activity in ecological and cultural contexts.Am J Ment Retard. 1993; 98: 185-206
- Constructing daily routines: a qualitative examination of mothers with young children with disabilities.Am J Occup Ther. 2000; 54: 252-259
- Adaptive strategies of mothers with children with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder: enfolding and unfolding occupations.Am J Occup Ther. 2000; 54: 300-306
- The person-environment-occupation model: a transactive approach to occupational performance.Can J Occup Ther. 1996; 63: 9-23
- The ecology of human development.Harvard Univ Pr, Cambridge1979
- Predictors of the leisure and recreation participation of children with physical disabilities: a structural equation modeling analyses.Children's Health Care. 2006; 35: 209-234
- Successful participation: the lived experience among children with disabilities.Can J Occup Ther. 2007; 74: 38-47
- Participation of young severely disabled children is influenced by their intrinsic impairments and environment.Dev Med Child Neurol. 2007; 49: 345-349
- Out-of-school time activity participation profiles of children with physical disabilities: a cluster analysis.Child Care Health Dev. 2010; 36: 727-741
- How children and adolescents spend time across the world: work, play, and developmental opportunities.Psychol Bull. 1999; 125: 701-736
- Participation in childhood.Child Care Health Dev. 2002; 28: 277-279
- A qualitative study of the physical, social and attitudinal environments influencing the participation of children with cerebral palsy in Northeast England.Pediatr Rehabil. 2006; 9: 219-228
Coster W, Law M, Bedell GM, Khetani M, Cousins M, Teplicky R. Development of the Participation and Environment Measure for Children and Youth (PEM-CY): conceptual basis (in preparation).
Supported by the U.S. Department of Education, National Institute on Disability and Rehabilitation Research (grant no. H133G070140).
No commercial party having a direct financial interest in the results of the research supporting this article has or will confer a benefit on the authors or on any organization with which the authors are associated.
Reprints are not available from the author.