Main Outcome Measure
List of Abbreviations:FSE (Functional Status Examination), TBI (traumatic brain injury), TBIMS (Traumatic Brain Injury Model System)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- The importance of leisure in the lives of persons with congenital physical disabilities.Am J Occup Ther. 2002; 56: 436-445
- Traumatic brain injury (TBI) 10-20 years later: a comprehensive outcome study of psychiatric symptomatology, cognitive abilities and psychosocial functioning.Brain Inj. 2001; 15: 189-209
- Predicting life satisfaction among adults with physical disabilities.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 1992; 73: 863-869
- Quality of life 4 years after stroke.Stroke. 1988; 19: 1101-1107
- Leisure satisfaction precursors.J Leisure Res. 1986; 18: 259-265
- Relationship between occupational gaps in everyday life, depressive mood and life satisfaction after acquired brain injury.J Rehabil Med. 2009; 41: 187-194
- Factors associated with perceived quality of life many years after traumatic brain injury.J Head Trauma Rehabil. 2001; 16: 330-342
- Subjective well-being and quality of life following traumatic brain injury in adults: a long-term population-based follow-up.Brain Inj. 2005; 19: 1041-1048
- Quality of life in individuals with physical disabilities.Psychother Psychosom. 1998; 67: 317-322
- Neuropsychological Rehabilitation.Neuropsychol Rehabil. 2008; 4: 141-162
- Educational-occupational fit and leisure orientation as related to life satisfaction.J Leisure Res. 1987; 19: 149-158
- Adapting leisure activity for adults with neuropsychological deficits following acquired brain injury.NeuroRehabilitation. 2008; 23: 329-334
- Coping with chronic illness and disability through creative needlecraft.Br J Occup Ther. 1997; 60: 352-356
- The meaning of sea kayaking for persons with spinal cord injuries.Am J Occup Ther. 1996; 50: 39-46
- When distress gives way to possibility: the relevance of leisure in adjustment to disability.NeuroRehabilitation. 2008; 23: 321-328
- Quality of life 10 years after a very severe traumatic brain injury (TBI): the perspective of the injured and the closest relative.Brain Inj. 1998; 12: 631-648
- Psychosocial and emotional sequelae of individuals with traumatic brain injury: a literature review and recommendations.Brain Inj. 1995; 9: 81-92
- Outcome 3 to 5 years after moderate to severe traumatic brain injury.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2003; 84: 1449-1457
- Injury prevention & control: traumatic brain injury.Accessed August 29, 2008)
- Mortality following rehabilitation in the Traumatic Brain Injury Model Systems of Care.NeuroRehabilitation. 2004; 19: 45-54
- Long term consequences of traumatic brain injury.in: Gulf War and health. Vol 7. National Academies Pr, Washington (DC)2009: 301-331
- Occupational gaps in everyday life 1-4 years after acquired brain injury.J Rehabil Med. 2006; 38: 159-165
- Factors affecting leisure participation after a traumatic brain injury: an exploratory study.J Head Trauma Rehabil. 2009; 24: 187-194
- Functional status examination: a new instrument for assessing outcome in traumatic brain injury.J Neurotrauma. 2001; 18: 127-140
- Functional outcome scales in traumatic brain injury: a comparison of the Glasgow Outcome Scale (Extended) and the Functional Status Examination.Neurotrauma. 2005; 22: 1319-1326
- A preliminary taxonomy of leisure activities.J Leisure Res. 1984; 16: 234-244
Udd E, Cable TT. Speaking a common language in leisure: towards a comprehensive leisure taxonomy. BJA Smale, editor. In: Leisure challenges: Bringing people, resources, and policy into play. Proceedings of the 6th Canadian Congress on Leisure Research: 1990 May 9-12. Waterloo: Ontario Research Council on Leisure; 1990.
- Techniques for comparing leisure classification systems.J Leisure Res. 1982; 14: 307-322
- Dictionary.com's 21st century lexicon, 2003-2009.Accessed December 5, 2009)
- Cambridge dictionaries online.Accessed December 5, 2009)
- Statistical methods for rates and proportions.2nd ed. John Wiley & Sons, New York1981
- Trends in strength training—United States 1998-2004.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2006; 55: 769-772
- Demographic determinants of participation in strength training activities among U.S. adults.J Strength Cond Res. 2008; 22: 553-558
- Impact of age on long-term recovery from traumatic brain injury.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2008; 89: 896-903
- Neuropsychological outcome at 1 year post head injury.Neuropsychol. 1995; 9: 80-90
- Stability of employment after traumatic brain injury.J Int Neuropsychol Soc. 2005; 11: 807-816
Supported by the University of Washington Traumatic Brain Injury Model System (TBIMS). The National Institute on Disability and Rehabilitation Research (grant no. H133A070032) funds the TBIMS. This study was conducted in partial fulfillment of a Master of Occupational Therapy degree at the University of Washington for E K Wise and C Mathews-Dalton.
No commercial party having a direct financial interest in the results of the research supporting this article has or will confer a benefit on the authors or on any organization with which the authors are associated.
Reprints are not available from the author.