Main Outcome Measures
List of Abbreviations:GCS (Glasgow Coma Score), IQR (interquartile range), ISS (Injury Severity Score), SCI (spinal cord injury), SNF (skilled nursing facility), SSN (social security number), TBI (traumatic brain injury)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- The financial trauma of head injury.Brain Inj. 1988; 2: 357-364
- Bankruptcy statistics.Accessed February 12, 2008)
- The fragile middle class: Americans in debt.Yale Univ Pr, New Haven2000
- The household bankruptcy decision.Am Econ Rev. 2002; 92: 706-718
- Determinants of the consumer bankruptcy decision.J Finance. 1999; 54: 403-420
- The risk of bankruptcy before and after brain or spinal cord injury: a glimpse of the iceberg's tip.Med Care. 2007; 45: 702-711
- Illness and injury as contributors to bankruptcy.Health Aff (Millwood). 2005; (Jan-Jun;Suppl Web Exclusives:W5-63-W5-73)
- Statistical validation of the Glasgow Coma Score.J Trauma. 2006; 60: 1238-1243
- The injury severity score: an update.J Trauma. 1976; 16: 882-885
- An overview of the injury severity score and the new injury severity score.Inj Prev. 2001; 7: 10-13
- Factors associated with higher levels of injury severity in occupants of motor vehicles that were severely damaged in traffic crashes in Kentucky, 2000-2001.Traffic Inj Prev. 2004; 5: 144-150
- Functional outcome after blunt and penetrating carotid artery injuries: analysis of the National Trauma Data Bank.J Trauma. 2005; 59: 860-864
- Household catastrophic health expenditure: a multicountry analysis.Lancet. 2003; 362: 111-117
- Financial and vocational outcomes 1 year after traumatic brain injury.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2003; 84: 238-241
- Family stressors in traumatic brain injury: a two-year follow-up.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 1994; 75: 876-884
- Medical bankruptcy: myth versus fact.Health Aff (Millwood). 2006; 25: w74-w83
- An act relating to insurance coverage for injuries sustained because of alcohol or narcotic use.HB 2014. 2004Accessed February 18, 2009)
- Screening trauma patients for alcohol problems: are insurance companies barriers?.J Trauma. 2000; 48: 115-118
- Health benefits in 2003: premiums reach thirteen-year high as employers adopt new forms of cost sharing.Health Aff (Millwood). 2003; 22: 117-126
- State-specific prevalence of lapses in health-care-insurance coverage–United States, 1995.JAMA. 1998; 279: 822-824
- Short-term impacts of coverage loss in a Medicaid population: early results from a prospective cohort study of the Oregon Health Plan.Ann Fam Med. 2006; 4: 391-398
- Health policy for low-income people: states' responses to new challenges.Health Aff (Millwood). 2002; (Jul-Dec;Suppl Web Exclusives:W187-218)
- Workers' risk of unemployment after traumatic brain injury: a normed comparison.J Int Neuropsychol Soc. 2005; 11: 747-752
- Race, employment, and spinal cord injury.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2004; 85: 1782-1792
- Consumer Credit.Accessed December 2, 2008)
- Marital stability after brain injury: an investigation and analysis.NeuroRehabilitation. 2007; 22: 53-59
- A legislative history of the Bankruptcy Abuse Prevention and Consumer Protection Act of 2005.Am Bankruptcy Law J. 2005; 79: 485-570
- It's the premiums, stupid: projections of the uninsured through 2013.Health Aff (Millwood). 2005; (Jan-Jun;Suppl Web Exclusives:W5-143-W5-151)
- Institute of Medicine, National Academies Pr, Washington (DC)2004
- Emergency department use and subsequent hospitalizations among members of a high-deductible health plan [published erratum appears in JAMA 2008;299:171].JAMA. 2007; 297: 1093-1102
- Proposal of the physicians' working group for single-payer national health insurance.JAMA. 2003; 290: 798-805
Supported by the Royalty Research Fund of the University of Washington and the intramural research program of the National Institutes of Health.
No commercial party having a direct financial interest in the results of the research supporting this article has or will confer a benefit on the authors or on any organization with which the authors are associated.
Reprints are not available from the author.