Main Outcome Measures
List of Abbreviations:CP (cerebral palsy), PCI (Physiological Cost Index), THBI (Total Heart Beat Index), V̇o2 (oxygen uptake)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- The epidemiology of cerebral palsy: incidence, impairments and risk factors.Disabil Rehabil. 2006; 28: 183-191
- Early development and attainment of normal mature gait.J Prosthet Orthot. 1993; 5: 35
- Gait analysis in cerebral palsy.Cambridge Univ Pr, New York1991
- Biomechanics of human movement.John Wiley and Sons, Toronto1979
- Metabolic cost, mechanical work, and efficiency during walking in young and older men.Acta Physiol (Oxf). 2006; 186: 127-139
- Calorimetric results in man: energy output in normal and overweight subjects.Metabolism. 1979; 28: 1127-1132
- The objective measurement of physical performance with long term ambulatory physiological surveillance equipment (LAPSE).in: Stott F.D. Raferty E.B. Goulding L. Proceedings of 3rd International Symposium on Ambulatory Monitoring. Academic Pr, London1979: 29-39
- A method for normalisation of oxygen cost and consumption in normal children while walking.J Pediatr Orthop. 1998; 18: 589-593
- Reducing the variability of oxygen consumption measurements.Gait Posture. 2001; 13: 202-209
- A nondimensional normalization scheme for oxygen utilization data.Gait Posture. 2006; 24: 14-22
- A new method of using heart rate to represent energy expenditure: the Total Heart Beat Index.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2002; 83: 1266-1273
- Physical and sedentary activity in adolescents with cerebral palsy.Dev Med Child Neurol. 2007; 49: 450-457
- Relationship of physical activity and television watching with body weight and level of fatness among children: results from the Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey.JAMA. 1998; 279: 938-942
- Obesity in adults and children: a call for action.J Adv Nurs. 2001; 36: 266-269
- The role of exercise in the patient with post-polio syndrome.Ann N Y Acad Sci. 1995; 753: 321-334
- Ambulation training of neurological patients on the treadmill with a new Walking Assistance and Rehabilitation Device (WARD).Spinal Cord. 1999; 37: 336-344
- Orthopaedic care of children with spina bifida: you've come a long way, baby!.Orthop Nurs. 2001; 20: 51-58
- Development and reliability of a system to classify gross motor function in children with cerebral palsy.Dev Med Child Neurol. 1997; 39: 214-223
- GMFCS - E & R.Accessed August 26, 2008)
- Measurement of oxygen consumption in disabled children by cosmed K2 portable telemetry system.Dev Med Child Neurol. 1996; 38: 585-593
- Energy cost of walking in normal children and teenagers.Dev Med Child Neurol. 1983; 25: 184-188
- Energy-speed relationship of walking: standard tables.J Orthop Res. 1988; 6: 215-222
- Metabolic and kinematic responses of African women headload carriers under controlled conditions of load and speed.Ergonomics. 1989; 32: 1539-1550
- Exercise responses following production of experimental obesity.J Appl Physiol. 1973; 5: 587-591
- Role of mechanical power estimates in the O2 cost of walking in children with cerebral palsy.Med Sci Sports Exerc. 1999; 31: 1703-1709
- Role of co-contraction in the O2 cost of walking in children with cerebral palsy.Med Sci Sports Exerc. 1996; 28: 1498-1504
Supported by Research Fellowship Funding, Robert Jones & Agnes Hunt Orthopedic Hospital Oswestry, Shropshire, UK.
No commercial party having a direct financial interest in the results of the research supporting this article has or will confer a benefit on the authors or on any organization with which the authors are associated.
Reprints are not available from the authors.