Main Outcome Measures
List of Abbreviations:BAS (Brief Alzheimer Scale), BI (Barthel Index), IRIE (Inpatient Rehabilitation in Ehingen (study)), PAIR (Physical Activity in Inpatient Rehabilitation Assessment), PASE (Physical Activity Scale for the Elderly), SF-LLFDI (Short Form-Late Life Function and Disability Index), SPPB (Short Physical Performance Battery), SRM (standardized response mean)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Physical activity, disability, and quality of life in older adults.Phys Med Rehabil Clin N Am. 2010; 21: 299-308
- Physical activity participation by presence and type of functional deficits in older women: the Women's Health and Aging Studies.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2006; 61: 1171-1176
- Suitability of physical activity questionnaires for older adults in fall-prevention trials: a systematic review.J Aging Phys Activity. 2005; 13: 461-481
- Identifying frailty in hospitalized older adults with significant coronary artery disease.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2006; 54: 1674-1681
- The assessment of physical activity in inpatient rehabilitation—an important aspect of the identification of frailty in hospitalized older people.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2007; 55: 967-968
- [Prevention through physical activity in old age—what is known and what needs to be done?].MMW Fortschr Med. 2008; 150 (quiz 38): 34-37
- Physical activity and public health in older adults: recommendation from the American College of Sports Medicine and the American Heart Association.Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2007; 39: 1435-1445
- An evaluation of three self-report physical activity instruments for older adults.Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2001; 33: 962-970
- Comparative validity of physical activity measures in older adults.Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2011; 43: 867-876
- Patient participation and physical activity during rehabilitation and future functional outcomes in patients after hip fracture.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2009; 90: 618-622
- Evaluation of a body-worn sensor system to measure physical activity in older people with impaired function.Phys Ther. 2011; 91: 277-285
- Relationship between fear of falling and outcomes of an inpatient geriatric rehabilitation population—fear of the fear of falling.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2010; 58: 664-673
- Concurrent related validity of the GAITRite walkway system for quantification of the spatial and temporal parameters of gait.Gait Posture. 2003; 17: 68-74
- A Short Physical Performance Battery assessing lower extremity function: association with self-reported disability and prediction of mortality and nursing home admission.J Gerontol. 1994; 49: M85-M94
- [Current appraisal of external quality assurance procedures in geriatric rehabilitation].Rehabilitation (Stuttg). 2008; 47: 39-48
- Measuring disability and function in older women: psychometric properties of the late-life function and disability instrument.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2005; 60: 901-909
- Evaluation of the Short Form of the Late-Life Function and Disability Instrument in geriatric inpatients—validity, responsiveness, and sensitivity to change.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2009; 57: 309-314
- Designing a Brief Alzheimer Screen (BAS).J Alzheimers Dis. 2003; 5: 391-398
- The development of a comorbidity index with physical function as the outcome.J Clin Epidemiol. 2005; 58: 595-602
- The Physical Activity Scale for the Elderly (PASE): evidence for validity.J Clin Epidemiol. 1999; 52: 643-651
- Evaluating measurement responsiveness.J Rheumatol. 1995; 22: 1191-1192
- The Spearman correlation formula.Science. 1905; 22: 309-311
- The research methods knowledge base.3rd ed. Atomic Dog Publishers, Cincinnatti2006
- Development and initial validation of the Falls Efficacy Scale-International (FES-I).Age Ageing. 2005; 34: 614-619
- A power primer.Psychol Bull. 1992; 112: 155-159
- [Geriatrics in Bavaria-Database (GiB-DAT): basic data analysis of geriatric rehabilitation in Bavaria and analysis of inter-clinic variability (part II)].Z Gerontol Geriatr. 2006; 39: 134-142
- Self-administered physical activity questionnaires for the elderly: a systematic review of measurement properties.Sports Med. 2010; 40: 601-623
- Application of the International Classification of Functioning, Disability and Health (ICF) in clinical practice.Disabil Rehabil. 2002; 24: 281-282
- International Classification of Functioning, Disability and Health.World Health Organization, Geneva2001
- Effects of creative and social activity on the health and well-being of socially isolated older people: outcomes from a multi-method observational study.J R Soc Health. 2006; 126: 134-142
Supported by the Robert Bosch Foundation, Stuttgart, Germany and the Ministry of Science, Research and Arts, state of Baden-Württemberg, as part of the Geriatric Competence Center at Ulm University.
No commercial party having a direct financial interest in the results of the research supporting this article has or will confer a benefit on the authors or on any organization with which the authors are associated.
Reprints are not available from the author.