This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
The influence of sauna on pulmonary functioning in patients with an obstructive pulmonary disease was studied in 12 male patients by measuring forced vital capacity (FVC) and forced expiratory volume in one second on seven measure points the day of the sauna program. Despite the fact that body cooling and changes in osmolality of bronchial liquid can induce bronchoconstriction, we measured a significant improvement of the lung function parameters: FVC values were 3.22±0.89 and 3.6±0.99 before and after the sauna program, respectively. It is concluded that patients with an obstructive pulmonary disease can take part in sauna programs without eliciting bronchoconstriction; sauna even causes transient improvement of the lung function.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
- Airways obstruction in asthmatics induced by body cooling.Scand J Respir Dis. 1979; 59: 13-20
- Effects of breathing warm humified air on bronchoconstriction, induced by body cooling and by inhalation of methacholine.Chest. 1979; 75: 24-28
- Enhancement of exercise induced asthma by cold air.N Eng J Med. 1977; 14: 743-747
- Sauna bei ambulanter Behandlung von Patienten mit chronisch bronchitischem Syndrom.Zsch ärtzl Forbild. 1967; 14: 722-725
- Bronchial reactivity in asthmatic adults with normal spirometric values.Br Med J. 1983; 286: 1012-1014
- Esophageal temperature during exercise in asthmatic and non-asthmatic subjects.J Appl Physiol. 1979; 46: 484-490
- Arrythmias and other cardiovascular responses during Finish sauna and exercise testing in healthy men and postmyocardial infarction patients.in: Thesis. University of Helsinki, Helsinki1980
- Quanjer Ph Standardized lung function testing. Report working party. Bull Eur Physiopathol Respi. 19. 1983: 1-95 (suppl 5)
Accepted: December 29, 1988
Received: October 28, 1988
© 1989 Published by Elsevier Inc.